When I buy Series I bonds, Quicken keeps changing them from bond purchases to share purchases.

Options
thomas_in_acf
thomas_in_acf Member ✭✭
edited December 2022 in Investing (Windows)
The screenshots will show you what I mean. The first is from when I made a purchase, prior to clicking on Enter/Done. The second is from when I looked at the completed transaction.

Note that the transaction type changed from Bonds Bought to Buy - Shares Bought. The number of shares also changed.

Is this the expected behavior?

Comments

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes. Quicken shoehorns bond purchases as stock purchases. Once you adapt to the share concept, it works. Use F1 Help in Quicken to learn more.
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Also, I expect you really bought two $1,000 bonds as the IBonds only go up to $1,000 denomination.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just wondering ... when you created the new Security entry for this bond, what Security Type did you use? Bond? Something else?
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Tom Young said:
    Also, I expect you really bought two $1,000 bonds as the IBonds only go up to $1,000 denomination.
    Indeed, what you need to end up with in Quicken is owning 20 “shares” priced in the $100 range.  The pricing on bonds is based around +/- $100. Two $1,000 bonds become 20 shares at $100 in Quicken. 
  • thomas_in_acf
    Options
    > @UKR said:
    > Just wondering ... when you created the new Security entry for this bond, what Security Type did you use? Bond? Something else?

I wasn't sure if it was the right option for Series I, but I used the type U.S. Savings Bond.
  • thomas_in_acf
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your help. I really appreciate it.
This discussion has been closed.