transaction categorization by things other than payee name

Options
ehamlin
ehamlin Member ✭✭
I have several insurance policies with State Farm. Each has a set and predictable monthly premium, but the payee for all of them is STATE FARM. In my budget I have categories by insurance type, so I would like to automatically assign entries for homeowners insurance to the Homeowners Insurance category, auto insurance to its category, etc.

Since the payee name is not sufficient to differentiate them, is there a way I can create a categorization rule that also looks at the amount? Payee=STATE FARM and Amount=52.16 would indicate without ambiguity that that's a payment for car insurance.

Is there a way to do this? Thanks in advance.

Best Answer

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I don't know of any way to differentiate Quick Fill rules by amount or any other parameter other than payee.

But I will say this... I have State Farm, and they combine my three policies into one monthly payment and give me the breakdown. I created a recurring scheduled split transaction that separates the parts of the payment into each insurance category. The downloaded transaction each month auto-matches to the scheduled transaction.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s

Answers

• ehamlin
    ehamlin Member ✭✭
    Options
    To clarify one thing, my question pertains to automatically imported transactions from checking and credit card accounts. I see I didn't say that.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I don't know of any way to differentiate Quick Fill rules by amount or any other parameter other than payee.

But I will say this... I have State Farm, and they combine my three policies into one monthly payment and give me the breakdown. I created a recurring scheduled split transaction that separates the parts of the payment into each insurance category. The downloaded transaction each month auto-matches to the scheduled transaction.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • ehamlin
    ehamlin Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @RickO said:
    > I don't know of any way to differentiate Quick Fill rules by amount or any other parameter other than payee.
    >
    > But I will say this... I have State Farm, and they combine my three policies into one monthly payment and give me the breakdown. I created a recurring scheduled split transaction that separates the parts of the payment into each insurance category. The downloaded transaction each month auto-matches to the scheduled transaction.

Terrific solution - thanks. Of course, I just had my agent decouple the monthly combined premium bill into its component parts so I could see the separate transactions, but...as much premium $ as I spend with them, she might be willing to undo all her hard work. ;)
This discussion has been closed.