Downloading duplicate transactions, only partially SOLVED

Options
Granny Franny
Granny Franny Member ✭✭
This problem, with 2 of my Chase accounts and my Discover account, has been driving me nuts for about a month. Today, I stumbled onto the solution, so I'll share it here.
Basically, after these institutions switched to express web connect, the ID numbers on their downloaded transactions changed. You can see those numbers by turning them on settings/register columns/downloaded ID for the register for the account in question.
If these numbers are totally different, you have the same problem I did.

Here's what to do:
1. Accept the downloaded transaction if that's not automatic for you.
2. Mark the new (downloaded) transaction as cleared or reconciled to match the status of the original transaction
3. Delete the ORIGINAL transaction

You are done. Except.
While implementing this fix on my checking account I learned that several of the repeated downloads applied to QuickPay transactions. I also learned that QuickPay transactions can't be changed without cancelling the transaction. Since these transactions were successfully done in the past, I suspect that cancelling them would be impossible. But I will try and get back to you with a further comment.

This problem/solution also applies (I think) to Quicken for Mac, as it is caused by the institution changing the format of the downloaded ID. This solution came to me while trying to report the problem to Quicken by phone. I had been deleting the downloaded transactions, only to get them downloaded again.

Comments

• Granny Franny
    Options
    Since the date, category, and memo on the newly-downloaded transaction may not match that on the original transaction, you might want to check these items and update them on the new transaction before deleting the original
  • Granny Franny
    Options
    As mentioned above, QuickPay transactions are an issue, since they cannot be deleted. My workaround is to accept the duplicate downloaded transaction, then add a dummy transaction reversing the amount of the downloaded transaction. Once the dust is settled, it should be safe to delete both the downloaded duplicate and its dummy. I am using the flag/comment field to mark these transactions for future actions.
  • Granny Franny
    Options
    This will hopefully be my final comment on this discussion. I want to say that poor testing and inadequate communication from Quicken have resulted in countless hours of work for me. Had I (and my financial institutions) been aware that the download ID would change when moving to express web connect, we could have planned for this outcome and avoided those hours.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    tnx for sharing - yeah, all these migrations have all been a mess and poorly executed.
    Just to clarify - they are being initiated by the Financial Institution and it is up to Quicken to try and catch up to any and all of the internal changes implemented by each financial institution.... bad communication and testing by all players involved.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

This discussion has been closed.