Will Vanguard eventually add cost basis on transferred shares or do I need to add manually?

Options
Bennett S
Bennett S Member ✭✭
edited December 2022 in Investing (Mac)
I recently transferred my portfolio at Vanguard from an individual to a new trust account. The shares came across overnight but without any cost basis, which was accurate in the old account. I saw something in the community that suggested this data will come from Vanguard, but might take a while. If so, I can certainly wait. Otherwise, I'll have to find another solution. Manually entering would be a pain since there are many distinct lots, but if I went to a backup before the transfer appeared, go into the old account and create a transfer of all securities by lots, it should bring them across. That seems the best solution; is there something I'm missing?
Tagged:

Answers

• J_Mike
    J_Mike SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bennett S said:
     if I went to a backup before the transfer appeared, go into the old account and create a transfer of all securities by lots, it should bring them across. That seems the best solution; is there something I'm missing?
    You are on the right track here.

Using Qmacs Teansfer Shaes transaction creates an AddShares transaction which does include acquisition date and cost basis for each individual lot of each security in the destination account.
    You will see a single Remove Shares transaction for each security in the source account.

One should normally enter the share transfers manually - before downloading. - as you have unfortunately discovered.

QWin & QMac (Deluxe) Subscription
    Quicken user since 1991

This discussion has been closed.