File attachments seems to have lost files, can't attach new files either

Options
Robert Berman
Robert Berman Member ✭✭✭
I have a Quicken file with checking account transactions from 2009 to today in it. I was looking back at some of the transactions that I had attached PDF files to on some of the transactions. Receipts, etc. The little paper clip icon is there in each transaction in the register with a file attached. I clicked on some of them and it gives me the option to View/Open, Upload, Export to Cloud. But if I click on View/Open - it doesn't do anything.

So - I deleted the attachment and - great - it gave me the option to attach files, etc. So I did attach a file by searching for the file in Explorer, clicking it and it looked like it attached fine. But again, clicking on View/Open does nothing. No errors, just click and nothing.

And yet - some transactions with attachments are OK!! - I can click the paper clip icon on the transaction and I see a thumbnail image of the attachment which I can then View/Open, etc. About half though just show a generic PDF thumbnail and can't be opened.

This behavior seems to be roughly 50/50 in transactions over all years from 2009-2022.

I don't think I would want to attach tons of files to transactions and bloat the Quicken data file, but maybe for a few it might be useful. Any ideas what is going on? Does Quicken maybe expire attachments and remove them at some time?

Best Answer

• Robert Berman
    Robert Berman Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2022 Answer ✓
    Options
    Cancel this - it seems like there were multiple Acrobat processes running on my computer, for some reason. I killed them off and now the attachments open.

I also did some research and it seems older versions of Quicken had been able to generate thumbnails of the files, but no longer.

Answers

• Robert Berman
    Robert Berman Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    It seems to be an issue with attaching PDFs. I have a brand new PDF file that I can view in Acrobat, but if I try to attach it to a new transaction I can not view the PDF. It just gives a little PDF icon, but I can't see the PDF like in Acrobat.
  • Robert Berman
    Robert Berman Member ✭✭✭
    edited November 2022 Answer ✓
    Options
    Cancel this - it seems like there were multiple Acrobat processes running on my computer, for some reason. I killed them off and now the attachments open.

I also did some research and it seems older versions of Quicken had been able to generate thumbnails of the files, but no longer.
This discussion has been closed.