How do I set up an account for TreasuryDirect

Options
VJD314
VJD314 Member
I've failed twice setting up an account for my TreasuryDirect transactions. As a brokerage account, it does not show purchase transactions. Also, the portfolio view shows only the total balance and not the individual bonds and bills I've purchased. Soooo ... what am I doing wrong?
Tagged:

Answers

• VJD314
    VJD314 Member
    Options
    Additional info ... The Commerce Bank - TreasuryDirect connection starts off recognizing me, I receive a one-time passcode from TreasuryDirect, but then the account update fails.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Have you set this account for "Simple Investing" rather than "Detailed Investing".  If using Simple, only the balances are shown.
    You can change the account from Simple to Complete/Detailed in the Account Details dialog (TOOLS, Account List) and then click EDIT next to the account name.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2022
    Options
    VJD314 said:
    Additional info ... The Commerce Bank - TreasuryDirect connection starts off recognizing me, I receive a one-time passcode from TreasuryDirect, but then the account update fails.
    just to clarify - what have you setup for Quicken Accounts - and what have you linked to your Treasury Direct acct ?
    I don't think that Treasury Direct has any connecting into Quicken..... it must be setup manually - (I could be wrong).
    So... I have my real world Treasury Direct account linked to my Chase checking account to shuttle funds for buying bonds.
    In Quicken - of course the Chase acct shows the withdrawal activity,
    but I have setup a Quicken manual acct to reflect the TD acct holdings.
    I then create a virtual security for each "bond" and added it to the TD account with the funds transferred from Chase.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Ps56k2, I originally missed that this is a QMac issue ... but in QWin there IS an FIDIR.TXT entry for "Commerce Bank - TreasuryDirect".
    Obviously, I don't know if there's the same entry in the QMac version,  but I suspect that there is and that's what the OP is using.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited November 2022
    Options
    The FIDIR entry for "Commerce Bank - Treasury Direct" links directly to the TD website, so I'm not sure how Commerce Bank is part of it. It also indicates that TD only supports Web Connect, but I don't see any place on the TD website where you can download a Quicken file, so it seems pointless to me to try to connect it at all. I'm keeping my TD account manual.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2022
    Options
    just adding the entry mentioned -
    it really does seem odd that such an entry in the FIDIR list even exists - QWin entry below
    60642    60642    60642    Commerce Bank - TreasuryDirect    http://www.treasurydirect.gov
    https://www.treasurydirect.gov/fw/BPDLogin?application=rs    ACTIVE
    BANKING,ACCOUNTINFO&EXP-WEB-CONNECT
    ok... so just tried it - on the QWIN side -
    - do the Add Account - for the Commerce-Treasury entry
    - entered my T acct number without dashes.... and my password
    - spinning circle for awhile.... then says emailed a Passcode - to be entered into Quicken
    - looked at my email - which TD has in my profile - and yes, have received a Passcode from the TD email domain
    - entered the Passcode into Quicken - spinning circle for awhile -
    - NOPE - ends with a CC-501 Error

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• clinc
    clinc Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    I have a manual TreasuryDirect account since there didn't used to be a way to link it to a financial institution.  Now Qmac lets you link to the Commerce Bank mentioned above.  I followed the steps Ps56k2 listed above with no errors (although there were several long delays).  The process required a second passcode after the first one was accepted.  The second passcode appeared to be required to update the data once the account was set up.

There were a few problems though...
    • The account was set up for Simple Investing, with no option to change to Detailed Investing.  The account views only include "Dashboard" and "Portfolio". "Transactions" is greyed out.  As a result, I could no longer view the transactions I had manually entered.
    • The Portfolio view doesn't show any of my securities, only an incorrect cash balance.
    • Every account update requires a new 2-factor passcode to be entered.  The passcode processing is very slow, adding around 30 seconds to the update process.
    After seeing all the problems, I gave up and restored a backup to return to my previous manual tracking of TreasuryDirect.
This discussion has been closed.