Q Mac Version 6.10.3 (Build 610.46328.100) Chase eBill Support

Options
I updated to Version 6.10.3 (Build 610.46328.100) and lo and behold, Quicken announces to me that there's new eBill Support for Chase Payments to Credit card which downloaded.

So … I go into 'Bills & Income', hit the '+ New Payee' button and follow the procedures and add a payee for Chase allegedly adding my Amazon Rewards Visa card.

I set a schedule to pay on December 6 since my payment is due December 8, and the not-very-comfortable choices are 'Bill Pay', 'Check Pay', and 'I pay myself'. I register the payment as monthly reoccurring and get a transaction in 'Bills & Income', and a transaction in my checking account and a corresponding transactions in my Amazon Rewards Visa account (since I've set a distribution account of Transfer:[Amazon Rewards Visa].

I look on my bank, and there's no pending payment registered; that whole 'I pay myself' and the lack of a pending transaction spook me so I delete the transaction in 'Bills & Income' and the scheduled transactions in my checking account (which makes the corresponding transaction in Amazon Rewards Visa disappear).

I try to repeat the procedure in case I've missed something, but attempting to readd causes a Chase{Amazon} already exists or some nonsense, so I go into my bank and schedule the transaction as a payment from my checking account to Chase Cardmember Services as usual.

I don't get it - and I think the choices have to be more clear as to whether this thing is actually going to be paid automagically. As things stood, it looked  like it was just going to put a transfer transaction in my checking and Amazon Visa accounts which would locally transfer funds from one account to another - nothing actionable showed up on the bank side which would indicate there was a transaction pending.

Has anyone gotten this work - and just what are we supposed to do to get a bill pay transaction in the queue?

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    vernea said:
    I updated to Version 6.10.3 (Build 610.46328.100) and lo and behold, Quicken announces to me that there's new eBill Support for Chase Payments to Credit card which downloaded.

So … I go into 'Bills & Income', hit the '+ New Payee' button and follow the procedures and add a payee for Chase allegedly adding my Amazon Rewards Visa card.

I set a schedule to pay on December 6 since my payment is due December 8, and the not-very-comfortable choices are 'Bill Pay', 'Check Pay', and 'I pay myself'. I register the payment as monthly reoccurring and get a transaction in 'Bills & Income', and a transaction in my checking account and a corresponding transactions in my Amazon Rewards Visa account (since I've set a distribution account of Transfer:[Amazon Rewards Visa].

I look on my bank, and there's no pending payment registered; that whole 'I pay myself' and the lack of a pending transaction spook me so I delete the transaction in 'Bills & Income' and the scheduled transactions in my checking account (which makes the corresponding transaction in Amazon Rewards Visa disappear).

I try to repeat the procedure in case I've missed something, but attempting to readd causes a Chase{Amazon} already exists or some nonsense, so I go into my bank and schedule the transaction as a payment from my checking account to Chase Cardmember Services as usual.

I don't get it - and I think the choices have to be more clear as to whether this thing is actually going to be paid automagically. As things stood, it looked  like it was just going to put a transfer transaction in my checking and Amazon Visa accounts which would locally transfer funds from one account to another - nothing actionable showed up on the bank side which would indicate there was a transaction pending.

Has anyone gotten this work - and just what are we supposed to do to get a bill pay transaction in the queue?
    Hello @vernea,     

I do apologize about any confusion related to the Quick Pay feature, and that you have yet to receive a response. Thank you for inquiring about this here on the Quicken Community. 

To be clear, the current Subscription version of Quicken includes Quick Pay under the Bill Manager system, which functions differently than the Direct Connect Bill Pay (or Bank Bill Pay) of previous versions of the Quicken software. Quick Pay payments can take a few days to be processed, as information has to be sent to the bank, and must be reviewed and accepted before it can appear on the banking institution's website. Check Pay - the alternative payment method supported under Bill Manager - requires the sending of a physical check to the bank or credit union, so this can take even longer. 

I'll Pay it Myself is an option that works more or less the same as manually entering a reminder into the Account Register, and no information is sent to the bank at all in this case. You are 'paying it yourself' and not through Quicken's Bill Manager, so this is essentially a kind of note within Quicken documenting that this is being done. 

I hope that clarifies the matter. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared   
  • vernea
    vernea Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    So … I should use Quick Pay and wait a few days to see if the payment shows up as pending on the bank's site?

I've just done a Check Pay to my dentist and we'll see how that works out.

Is Quick Pay only for payments to credit cards for which you are receiving online transactions - or can it be used for payments to anyone (like my dentist)?

-- Thanks, Verne
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2022
    Options
    vernea said:
    So … I should use Quick Pay and wait a few days to see if the payment shows up as pending on the bank's site?

I've just done a Check Pay to my dentist and we'll see how that works out.

Is Quick Pay only for payments to credit cards for which you are receiving online transactions - or can it be used for payments to anyone (like my dentist)?

-- Thanks, Verne
    Hello @vernea,        

I do apologize for any ongoing ambiguity when it comes to the Quick Pay feature. Thank you for seeking additional clarification about this.

With respect to your first question: yes, it may take a couple of days for the payment to be received and processed. As to whether or not Quick Pay can be utilized for billers that you possess online banking accounts for, you will need to set up an online bill first - using the steps found here. In particular, look to the section under the heading Instructions. Note that there is a limited list of billers that can be paid with Bill Manager services in this way, although it shouldn't be the case that you must additionally possess a credit or debit account with a specific institution, if that is what you are asking. 

I hope that makes sense, but let us know if you have any other questions.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
This discussion has been closed.