Quicken Mac changing account type

Options
Kevin Dean
Kevin Dean Member ✭✭
I have two chequing accounts with RBC Royal Bank. For reasons unknown, whenever I sync, Quicken decides to change my joint account from type "Checking" to "Savings". I've given up resetting the type because Quicken thinks it knows better.

How do I force Quicken to keep the type I set?

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I have two chequing accounts with RBC Royal Bank. For reasons unknown, whenever I sync, Quicken decides to change my joint account from type "Checking" to "Savings". I've given up resetting the type because Quicken thinks it knows better.

How do I force Quicken to keep the type I set?
    Hello @Kevin Dean,    

I am sorry about this problem with changing account types. Thank you for inquiring about this here on the Quicken Community.

First, what Connection Type are you making use of in order to connect your accounts to online banking services, and do you know what 'instance' you are using to connect with Royal Bank of Canada? You can check this by clicking one of the affected accounts in the Account List on the left-hand side of the Quicken panel and then navigating to the Settings menu denoted by the 'gear' icon in the lower right-hand corner of the screen. The Downloads tab in the window that appears should contain this information. 

I hope to offer more assistance once I know a little more about the situation. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Kevin Dean
    Kevin Dean Member ✭✭
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Here you go.

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Here you go.

Hello @Kevin Dean,    

I am sorry that this problem continues to cause frustration. Thank you for getting back to me with that helpful screenshot. 

If you have the chance, it would help us to troubleshoot the situation if you could save a backup by going to File > Save a Backup... in the upper menu at the top of the screen while Quicken is open and then create a new 'test' data file by following the steps listed below:

1. Navigate to File
    2. Select New
    3. Select Start from scratch
    4. Click Next
    5. Choose appropriate default categories based on geographic location
    6. Click Next
    7. Choose Don't use Quicken Mobile & Web
    8. Click Next 

You may then add your Royal Bank of Canada-affiliated accounts in the newly created data file by choosing your financial institution and entering your credentials as prompted. I am curious whether or not these issues continue in this data file. 

Let us know about your results, if you can. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Kevin Dean
    Kevin Dean Member ✭✭
    Options
    I'll try this when I can find some time.
  • Kevin Dean
    Kevin Dean Member ✭✭
    Options
    By switching to a manual download, I was able to look at the QFX file directly. The account in the download has the following account type:

<ACCTTYPE>SAVINGS

This is probably because of a legacy ATM issue; when I first setup my accounts, my bank couldn't support two accounts of the same type in the ATM, so I had to designate one as "Savings" so I could access it through the ATM.

There's nothing I can do about what the bank sends. What I'm asking is that Quicken allow me to set the type and ignore the one sent by the bank. It's fine when creating a new account, but if I edit the type and set it to "Checking", Quicken should leave my setting alone.
This discussion has been closed.