Slow response time

Options
Jerry Pederson
Jerry Pederson Member ✭✭✭✭
Quicken runs very slowly when clicking between my accounts on Quicken.  This seems to happen each morning when I start my computer from sleep mode.  In fact, Quicken ultimately freezes up and I have to end the Quicken programs via the computer's TASK MANAGER. - (For all other programs on my computer other than Quicken the response time is normal.)   I then restart Quicken and the response time returns to normal.

Does anybody know why this is happening?

Answers

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Quicken runs very slowly when clicking between my accounts on Quicken.  This seems to happen each morning when I start my computer from sleep mode.  In fact, Quicken ultimately freezes up and I have to end the Quicken programs via the computer's TASK MANAGER. - (For all other programs on my computer other than Quicken the response time is normal.)   I then restart Quicken and the response time returns to normal.

Does anybody know why this is happening?
    Hello @Jerry Pederson,    

I am sorry to hear about this issue with slowness or freezing. Thank you for asking about this here on the Quicken Community.

Are you currently making use of any online banking connections that feature the Express Web Connect + method? You can check your connection method by going to Tools > Account List and then clicking on the Edit button in the row associated with the affected accounts. Next, go to the Online Services tab in the new window that appears afterward. The information we are looking for should be found under the Online Setup callout box. Be sure to let us know which financial institutions might be associated with these accounts, if so. 

I look forward to hearing back from you about this. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Jerry Pederson
    Options
    Yes, I am.  Both Chase and Bank of America.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes, I am.  Both Chase and Bank of America.
    Hello @Jerry Pederson,   

Thank you for letting me know more about the situation, and for answering my earlier questions. I am sorry that this problem is ongoing. 

We have forwarded information about this issue to the proper channels, and we are now investigating the issue. We do not have an ETA on a resolution, although we are working toward a resolution. We apologize for the inconvenience, and we thank you for your patience.

Feel free to reach out with any additional questions or concerns. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 

CTP-4998
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Is Quicken open when you put your computer into sleep mode?

If so, you should never do that.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Jerry Pederson
    Options
    Thanks.

It was never ever a problem in the past 8/10 years,  Why now?

I am not rebooting the computer from a shutdown scenario, just waking it up from a (like I mentioned previously) sleep/or hibernation mode.

What problems have occurred by not closing Quicken before the computer goes into SLEEP/HIBERNATION mode?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Two main reasons.  One, it might sleep in a condition where the database is in an inconsistent state.  And if for any reason you have to actually shutdown/restart (or power loss on a desktop computer) the computer the database can be corrupted.

The second reason is what I think might be happening to it now.  Even if everything is frozen in sleep/hibernation mode one thing can never be frozen, time.

If Quicken is doing something like talking to the network or working on reminders where "time matters" it is possible that when it wakes up and is at a completely different time it might get "confused" and go into a bad state.

BTW Sleep really actually stops the processor, but memory stays on so that it doesn't "forget".  Hibernation actually swaps everything out to disk and then stops everything.  So, they are a bit different.  Hibernation is safer than Sleep for the first problem.

It is interesting that I remember in older versions of Quicken it would actually block going into sleep/hibernation mode.
    Signature:
  • Jerry Pederson
    Options
    Thanks.

I think I understand what you are explaining,  but why after 8/10 years of not having this problem all of a sudden it is problem? 

I see Quicken has chimed in, maybe they will have the answer.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thanks.

I think I understand what you are explaining,  but why after 8/10 years of not having this problem all of a sudden it is problem? 

I see Quicken has chimed in, maybe they will have the answer.
    There is no telling when a given release will have some kind of timing issue like this.
    Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This might be what is causing your problem:
    Slowdowns and Not Enough Memory to Proceed errors — Quicken
    Signature:
This discussion has been closed.