Wells Fargo Advisor - stocks in investment account are not showing up.

Options
cwkeeley
cwkeeley Member ✭✭
I was able to add my WF Advisor investment account to Quicken for Windows, but the updates only show the total value of the account, -- but none of the individual equities. There must be a setting I'm missing because I was able to see all the individual investments on my previous windows computer with Quicken...
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi again @cwkeeley,

Okay, I have a few followup questions:

When talking about the "holdings tab" - you said "All the transactions for that account do show up -- like dividends, interest, etc.".  Do the purchases and sales of investments also show up, or is it just periodic dividends and interest? 

And from a timing perspective - do the dates of those transactions that appear include all relevant dates (i.e. from the initial date that you started tracking investments in Quicken), or are they limited to a certain time frame (and what is that time frame)?  If limited - did you take any action (other than moving from the old to the new computer) that might have affected your datafile, such as archiving, or something else?

On the issue of the "old HP computer" - did everything "work" when you were using that for your Quicken application?  Said another way - did these issues start when you moved to the new computer?  If so, do you have any backup files from a time frame before these problems arose?

Get back to me and we'll go from there.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Hi @cwkeeley

I think it is likely that you have inadvertently setup this investment account as a "Simple Investment" mode type account. Or that somehow this account has been changed from the usual "Complete" mode to the "Simple" mode. But you can fix that by taking these steps:

1) Open the account register in Quicken and click on the little Gear icon at the top right > click on "Edit account details" > then for "Tracking method" select "Complete".  And please note that you may have to fix some transactions that were downloaded while the setting was in "Simple" mode.

And if you want to make sure this doesn't happen again for any of your investing accounts, you can change a global setting to prevent this.  Just go to: "Edit" > "Preferences" > "Investment transactions" and make sure that the checkbox next to  "Enable Simple Investing (positions only)" is NOT checked.

Let me know if you have any questions or followups.

Frankx

-  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• cwkeeley
    cwkeeley Member ✭✭
    Options
    Hi Frankx. Thanks for helping. I checked the tracking method and it was set to "complete". I should mention that all the transactions are showing up (interest, dividends, etc.), but when I click on the "holdings" tab it only comes up with the total cash value --- no individual holdings.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi again @cwkeeley

Can you tell me which version of Quicken you are currently running?

Frankx

• cwkeeley
    cwkeeley Member ✭✭
    Options
    Hi Frankx. Version R44.28, Build 27.1.44.28 The computer is an HP laptop running Windows 11 home. Thanks for your help!
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi again @cwkeeley,

One more thing...  You refer to the "holdings" tab.  Just to make sure - do you mean the "Investing" tab? And, if so, specifically - are you referring to the "Portfolio" view, or some other view?

Thanks,

Frankx

• cwkeeley
    cwkeeley Member ✭✭
    Options
    No problem. So to begin, on the Quicken home page the "Investment Top Movers" box is empty and says "No data to show". Then when I click on "Investing" and then "Portfolio", what comes up is one line showing the brokerage account with the total market value as cash, and all the indexes (Dow, NASDAQ, etc.). That's it.

The holdings tab is the one that comes up when I open up the brokerage account from the Accounts List. Here is something interesting I didn't mention: All the transactions for that account do show up -- like dividends, interest, etc. But when I click on the holdings tab, again the only thing that shows up is the total market value; none of the equity holdings that are in that account...

Hope this helps. Thanks!
  • cwkeeley
    cwkeeley Member ✭✭
    Options
    Frankx, just thought of something that might be connected here. I also posted another issue where I have been unable to add my UBS investment account. Just won't make the connection. And fyi, I did not have any problems when I first loaded Quicken on my old HP computer. It bit the dust and so I'm trying to re-load Quicken on my new computer...
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi again @cwkeeley,

Okay, I have a few followup questions:

When talking about the "holdings tab" - you said "All the transactions for that account do show up -- like dividends, interest, etc.".  Do the purchases and sales of investments also show up, or is it just periodic dividends and interest? 

And from a timing perspective - do the dates of those transactions that appear include all relevant dates (i.e. from the initial date that you started tracking investments in Quicken), or are they limited to a certain time frame (and what is that time frame)?  If limited - did you take any action (other than moving from the old to the new computer) that might have affected your datafile, such as archiving, or something else?

On the issue of the "old HP computer" - did everything "work" when you were using that for your Quicken application?  Said another way - did these issues start when you moved to the new computer?  If so, do you have any backup files from a time frame before these problems arose?

Get back to me and we'll go from there.

Frankx

• cwkeeley
    cwkeeley Member ✭✭
    Options
    Hi Frankx. I think the problem might be solved, based on your comments which pointed me toward a solution. Here is the history in a nutshell. After my old laptop bit the dust (spilled lemonade on the keyboard...), I switched over to using Quicken on the Web until I bought the new Windows laptop. When I setup the new computer, for some reason, it wouldn't let me open the old file from the cloud -- so I tried to recreate the whole thing with a new file name. That's when the trouble began. Today I went back to the web version and was able to load the old file -- and it worked! Then I did the same thing with the Windows version and now it worked too! Wow, success.

I guess I'm confused on how these two sync with each other -- because maybe that was where the issue started...

Anyway, all seems to be good now. I really appreciate your helping me!
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi again @cwkeeley

Glad to hear that everything worked out.  It was a pleasure to help you!  Take care (and don't forget to keep a good backup file.

Frankx

This discussion has been closed.