Bond renaming, bond mismatches - Wells Fargo Advisors

Options
bpmcclure
bpmcclure Member ✭✭
I have two bond issues.

1. Every day I get a pop up that asks if several bonds have been renamed. An example, has Credit Suisse been renamed Wheeling WV? I say no daily, and get the same errors the next day.

2. Different bonds from same issuer are misreported. An example, two different Credit Suisse bonds at 100 shares each. One shows 200 in Quicken, the other 0. This mismatch also shows up daily.

How to resolve these short of deleting the account and re-downloading?

Comments

• bpmcclure
    bpmcclure Member ✭✭
    Options
    Further, it seems the same group of bonds are affected with both issues.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    #2 -- That sounds like you have the wrong transactions in Quicken.  
    a)  Make sure you have a good backup.
    b)  Make sure you have the two separate Credit Suisse bonds represented in Quicken's security list (Ctrl-Y).  Each one must have a unique security name.  I also choose to give each a unique 'made-up' ticker,  
    c)  One of those Quicken bonds is likely "Matched with online security".  If so, uncheck it.  If both are matched uncheck both.  You'll be able to rematch in a moment. 
    d)  Locate the two (or more?) Buy transactions in the Quicken account transaction list.  Make sure each Buy identifies the correct bond.  Edit the security name in the transaction as needed.
    e)  Pull up the Holding view for the account and make sure both bonds now show in Quicken.  
    f)  Tools / Online Center
    -- Choose the correct Financial Institution
    -- Holding Tab
    -- Compare to Portfolio
    You should now be presented with the ability to associate the two bonds your broker reports to the correct bonds in your Quicken data file.  

I suspect that will also clear up your issue #1 as long as those are the bonds that Quicken is asking to rename.

Hope this helps

• bpmcclure
    bpmcclure Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you so much. I found the "Matched with online security" check box so know where that is now. One thing not clear to me is when you say you assign a made up ticker name where that is. For each security I see these columns: Security, Symbol, CUSIP ID. Is one of these what you refer to as "Ticker?" Or is it someplace else? I want to understand what I am fooling with before I start fooling.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    bpmcclure said:
    Thank you so much. I found the "Matched with online security" check box so know where that is now. One thing not clear to me is when you say you assign a made up ticker name where that is. For each security I see these columns: Security, Symbol, CUSIP ID. Is one of these what you refer to as "Ticker?" Or is it someplace else? I want to understand what I am fooling with before I start fooling.
    Ticker = Symbol.  It is edited on the same Security Detail view as the 'Matched" box shows.  

Yes, assigning a ticker to a Security Type = Bond is tricky.  And it is not required.  I do it because of one third party tool to extract price history by ticker (an uncommon need).  While Quicken does maintain a 1:1 relationship between security and the price history data, I feel better when that 1:1 relationship also includes a unique ticker or symbol name.  You can also do that assignment later. 

To apply a ticker to a security that has a Security Type = Bond, you need to:
    1)  change the Security Type to anything else. 
    2)  You fill in the Ticker Field with a unique identifier.  I use something with a issuer, maturity, and sometimes interest ; example CA-DOT 27-12-01 3%
    3)  When that ticker is entered, you get the option to a) Copy the old price-history information to the new ticker (default to yes, I take that choice), and b) Delete the history for the prior ticker (default to no; I override that to make the deletion).    
    4)  Change the Security Type back to Bond

• bpmcclure
    bpmcclure Member ✭✭
    Options
    OK, looking at this with your instructions in hand, I think this is the rub. I own two separate bonds from Credit Suisse London, 100 shares each. Two different CUISP's. Quicken Holdings shows two lots of one of the bonds, 200 shares of that lot, and 0 of the other bond, which I suspect triggers the mismatch when syncing with Wells Fargo. This I think is the problem with several other of my bonds as well. How do I tackle this one?
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    bpmcclure said:
    OK, looking at this with your instructions in hand, I think this is the rub. I own two separate bonds from Credit Suisse London, 100 shares each. Two different CUISP's. Quicken Holdings shows two lots of one of the bonds, 200 shares of that lot, and 0 of the other bond, which I suspect triggers the mismatch when syncing with Wells Fargo. This I think is the problem with several other of my bonds as well. How do I tackle this one?
    As I outlined in my first post - Step d -- You need to edit the security name on each of the original Buy transactions to reflect the correct bond.  Right now it would seem you have two Buys of one bond creating two lots of that one bond.  The second Buy needs to refer to the second bond, not the first.  (Repeat as necessary).
  • bpmcclure
    bpmcclure Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks again. I went back and reread the original post, and have one more question about this:: b) Make sure you have the two separate Credit Suisse bonds represented in Quicken's security list (Ctrl-Y). Each one must have a unique security name. I also choose to give each a unique 'made-up' ticker,

I do not have separate CS bonds in my security list. I have one bond with two lots. Can I follow your steps above with this situation and correct this at the purchase transactions?
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I download all my investment transactions, and all my initial bond purchases download with the CUSIP as the ticker. So it all works automatically. This is Morgan Stanley, maybe other brokers don't do this?

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    bpmcclure said:

I do not have separate CS bonds in my security list. I have one bond with two lots. Can I follow your steps above with this situation and correct this at the purchase transactions?
    I would choose to manually create the second bond security before entering the Buy for that lot.  From the Security List, there is an option to add a new security.  But I believe if you choose to edit the second buy transaction, and change it to a new security, Quicken will take you through the same security creation process.  
  • bpmcclure
    bpmcclure Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @q_lurker said:
    > I would choose to manually create the second bond security before entering the Buy for that lot.  From the Security List, there is an option to add a new security.  But I believe if you choose to edit the second buy transaction, and change it to a new security, Quicken will take you through the same security creation process.  

That worked for my first go. Had trouble with some of the earlier ideas. In Security Details the Symbol was not editable, and when I unchecked the online match box, I was not allowed to recheck it later. So far so good, I'll work at it.

Thanks to all for your ideas!
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The Matched with online security box only gets checked by the program when the program makes the association by comparing portfolios (my step f in my first post)
This discussion has been closed.