What do you do when Quicken just becomes too slow to use?

Options
spalt
spalt Windows Beta Beta
Serious question!  I have ~95 accounts (both open and closed) in my Quicken file and transactions that date back to 2007 or so.  I dunno if there's a way to count every transaction but I probably have about 100k or so.  At this point, doing my daily update takes around 10 minutes to complete, but then almost an hour to review & accept every transaction.  I've been trading options recently so I know that doesn't help.  Just switching between accounts takes 15-20 seconds.  Clicking "accept" on each SELL transaction in my investment account takes almost a minute.  The whole "lot selection" rigmarole takes even longer.  I have some accounts I update manually and I dread having to put in dividend reinvestment items as I know it'll be a multi-hour affair.  I have a fast Windows 10 PC with a ton of RAM and a SSD.  

What do people do when using this software becomes unusable?  Just start over with a fresh file?

Answers

• miklk
    miklk SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Options
    Try to Archive your investment accounts (Keeps current holdings in account and creates a new archived account with older EX-holdings)

If that doesn't correct it enough, I would do a file copy, Create a Copy BUT you will need to re-enable all online accounts downloads etc.. (This does a record by record Copy so does fix many datafile problems)
  • spalt
    spalt Windows Beta Beta
    Options
    miklk said:
    Try to Archive your investment accounts (Keeps current holdings in account and creates a new archived account with older EX-holdings)

If that doesn't correct it enough, I would do a file copy, Create a Copy BUT you will need to re-enable all online accounts downloads etc.. (This does a record by record Copy so does fix many datafile problems)
    Had no idea that was even possible!  Thanks!  I've tried it with one account so far and it doesn't seem that much faster but I suppose will give it some time.

There's no way to clean up the security list, right?  I have almost 500 on mine.....
This discussion has been closed.