How to record taxes on RMDs disbursed directly to state & fed?

Options
BrB
BrB Member
My money mgr disburses taxes on my RMDs directly from the IRA to State & Fed treasuries. Until this year I used the WITHDRAW action. Now in R45.11, I find only a WITHDRAWX function, which requires the destination be another account in QW. This doesn't work. What replaced the WITHDRAW function for this kind of transaction? Am I missing something?

Best Answer

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @BrB

Technically speaking, those tax withholdings should be accounted for as prepaid taxes and in Quicken should be posted either "Tax:Fed" or "Tax:State" category.  Not sure what was happening in the past, but this is what I suggest you do now and in the future.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• BrB
    BrB Member
    Options
    I know that, and record the money as Tax:Fed or Tax:State (I've used Quicken since the days of DOS3.0). However, unlike prior versions, QW 45.11 will not let me get to the point of designating the moneys as Tax pmts; it tries to show the $ going to another account, rather than disbursed out of the IRA, which is incorrect. How can I get past that?
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    See this FAQ for the recommended procedure:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7072150
  • BrB
    BrB Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tip. I will try this procedure and see if it will mesh with what I've been doing in the past.
    I'd still like to see Quicken address the situation of RMDs, QCDs and taxes; I think it's becoming too common not to have a standard procedure.
This discussion has been closed.