Multiple repeating windows during new update process

Options
Every time I update my financial accounts I get a flashing computer that alternates between whatever other applications are running and Quicken, an update which used to take 1-2 minutes (I have lots of accounts) now takes up to 15 minutes and my computer is mostly unusable as every 2-3 seconds focus is taken by Quicken to show me the progress bar.

Is anyone else experiencing this type of behavior?

Answers

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Every time I update my financial accounts I get a flashing computer that alternates between whatever other applications are running and Quicken, an update which used to take 1-2 minutes (I have lots of accounts) now takes up to 15 minutes and my computer is mostly unusable as every 2-3 seconds focus is taken by Quicken to show me the progress bar.

Is anyone else experiencing this type of behavior?
    Hello @Frustrated Long Term Customer",   

I am sorry about this problem with flashing screens. Thank you for inquiring about this here on the Quicken Community.

Have you tried restarting your computer after this happens? You may additionally try uninstalling the Quicken software using the steps listed in this Support Article, then deleting Quicken from the Program Files (x86) folder. You may then reinstall the software after following those steps using the steps listed here.

I look forward to your response. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just firing a shot into the dark here ...
    In Edit / Preferences / Setup is there a checkmark on "Turn on Animation"?
    If so, please click to remove the checkmark, click OK. Does that improve it?
  • Frustrated Long Term Customer
    Options
    Animation was checked, and unchecking did improve performance significantly.  There are still pop up windows (one that states Quicken is not responding) but in less than one minute Update claimed it ran through all the updates and no error screen appeared.  When I get (or should get) downloads from the accounts I update if the data doesn't convey.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The "not responding" is from Windows getting antsy about Quicken not sending screen updates every few seconds while it's doing something else. I wish there was a way to tune Windows, to not be so hyper and flicker the screen every few seconds. That can be annoying ...
    BTW, what's the %Memory in use, as shown by Task Manager, for the entire system, while Quicken is running OSU? 80% or more?
    Options
    I have restarted my machine at least four times, closed and reopened Quicken etc. so I don't think it is a system issue.

When I opened task manager I was at 62% memory (510 MB) with Quicken running and it stayed the same actual memory usage when I started and ran OSU.  Upon completion Quicken was at 467 MB usage.  I have Lenova X1 Carbon with I-7 and 15.8 GB memory, machine says 10.6 GB in use.
    Options
    UPDATE:  With the only user action being closing of Lenova Dashboard, my Quicken memory usage dropped to 142.3 MB per task manager, and overall memory usage is 60%.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    UPDATE:  With the only user action being closing of Lenova Dashboard, my Quicken memory usage dropped to 142.3 MB per task manager, and overall memory usage is 60%.
    That sounds more like what I'm seeing on my machine.
    When I opened task manager I was at 62% memory (510 MB) with Quicken running and it stayed the same actual memory usage when I started and ran OSU.  Upon completion Quicken was at 467 MB usage.  I have Lenova X1 Carbon with I-7 and 15.8 GB memory, machine says 10.6 GB in use.
    Wonder what's causing that bloat ...
This discussion has been closed.