using a Quicken 2017 data file with a new version of Quicken

Options
I have been using Quicken 2017 for a number of years and I have a large data file - almost all of it is checkbook register data going back many years.
I just bought a new PC, and I would like to buy a new version of Quicken, install it, then use my old data. Is that a simple process?

I assume this has been answered already, but I don't know where to look

Thanks

Best Answer

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Store the backup to a USB drive or a CD  ... something that can be  moved from  1 PC  to the other.
    Any needed file conversion will be handled by the Restore ... but I don't believe there is any going from Q2017 to current.
    On the old PC, take the backup using the  Q that's installed there ...  presumably Q2017.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yep, it's a simple process.  Have Q take a backup on your old PC and do a Restore on the new.

• old-timeuser
    Options
    Thanks for the quick response. When I do the backup on the old PC, should I do it on my original Quicken 2017 - if yes, where do I store the backup? Then I install the new Quicken on the new machine, and I retrieve the backup from wherever. At that point is the data file converted to whatever format the new Quicken uses?

Is this correct, or am I missing something?

Again, my thanks for your response
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Store the backup to a USB drive or a CD  ... something that can be  moved from  1 PC  to the other.
    Any needed file conversion will be handled by the Restore ... but I don't believe there is any going from Q2017 to current.
    On the old PC, take the backup using the  Q that's installed there ...  presumably Q2017.

• old-timeuser
    Options
    Everything worked just as described -thanks for your help
This discussion has been closed.