Overdraft Account Changes

Options
HMS22
HMS22 Member
I'm so irritated because i believe something changed in an update and i am no longer seeing my checking overdraft account transactions. I tried to reset the account, delete and add the account to no avail. I read on another thread that Quicen is now treating everything like a loan and transactions are not displayed.

Someone please help me understand how to setup my overdraft account in the same way that my checking account is setup. I dont care if its web connect or direct connect, but both should display my individual transactions and my overdraft should not be a "loan". This how i've been doing it for YEARS!

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The account you refer to as "overdraft account" usually is a Line of Credit or Home Equity Line of Credit account and not a traditional mortgage account. Due to its revolving nature, in Quicken this account is created and maintained as a Credit Card account. That's so you can repeatedly draw money from the account, pay it back to $0.00 and repeat as needed. A loan account, once it reaches a balance of $0.00, it is considered "paid in full" and cannot be used to draw more money.
    If you have had this account for years and suddenly you're having issues with it ... a change in Quicken may have (but should never have done so, IMHO) changed the Account Type to something other than Credit Card. A user cannot change the Account Type so, in that case I suggest that you deactivate the existing "overdraft account" and create a new Offline account as Type Credit Card. Now try to activate the new account and link it to the overdraft account found at the bank.
  • HMS22
    HMS22 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the detailed response. I see that the account is still listed as a credit card account, but when i try to update transactions (for this account only), it asks me to "fill passwords", which I've never seen before. In the past, all my bank accounts including this one downloaded transactions via one password stored in my vault. Now i see that my checking account is set to "Web Connect" but my Overdraft account is "Direct Connect".

Should i still try what you suggest above even though i confirmed the account is already set to credit? By the way, when i do try to "fill passwords", it brings up my password vault where both accounts are still under one username (checking and overdraft) but it say "Not Required" because i'm using Web Connect.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    All of your accounts with this bank should be using the same connection method. If Direct Connect is no longer supported by the bank, Express Web Connect (EWC or EWC+) is your next best method.
    You can try to deactivate all accounts with this bank, including any old, long closed, hidden and forgotten ones which are still activated. When done shutdown and restart Quicken, then use the "Add Accounts" icon (or Tools / Add Accounts) to reactivate all accounts with the bank, carefully linking accounts found at the bank to your existing account registers in Quicken.
    The passwords for accounts not using Direct Connect are stored on a Quicken server and not in the Vault any longer.
  • HMS22
    HMS22 Member
    Options
    Ok, i will give that a shot. Thank you so much.
  • HMS22
    HMS22 Member
    Options
    So i tried what you suggested and likely every other combination of enabling, disabling, deleting & recreating accounts to no avail. No matter what i do my Overdraft account will not allow me to configure it as credit, only a loan account...which gives me no control over transactions. I've been doing this for years and have worked through many similar problems, but this one has me stumped.
This discussion has been closed.