Reminders aren't automatically entering even though I set them to.

for a couple of months now, I've noticed my bill reminders have not been getting automatically entered into my register even though I have them set to do this. I have lots of these set to enter things into my register, and finally noticed that my register looked kind of empty looking forward. When I checked "Bill and Income Reminders" a bunch of them were orange (meaning where it says "Auto" in the list of reminders). I'd have to click and manually enter.

I tried changing the offending reminders to "Notify me" and then back to "automatically enter" and that seemed to work for some of them.

I then noticed that if I right click the reminder name I get several edit choices--one to edit just one instance, or one to edit all future instances. I didn't see that option when just double-clicking on the reminder name and getting the edit box.

So, last month, I went through each reminder one at a time, for all of them, right clicked, chose "edit all future instances", and then I set to "Remind me", then clicked "done", then right clicked and edited all future instances again, and set it back to "automatically enter".
Even after doing this, I still notice that there are several that will randomly not enter automatically like I told them to, and I have to do the above procedure on them again.

Please advise how to fix this--it's pretty laborious to keep having to manually adjust all my reminders over and over.

I think this all started happening after Quicken updated back in October.
Tagged:

Comments

• aec618
    aec618 Member ✭✭
    I forgot to say, I am using Quicken For Windows, version R45.13, Build 27.1.45.13
    My computer is running Windows 10 Professional
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    aec618 said:
    I forgot to say, I am using Quicken For Windows, version R45.13, Build 27.1.45.13
    My computer is running Windows 10 Professional
    Hello @aec618,   

I am sorry about this problem with online banking services. Thank you for looking to the Quicken Community for assistance.

It sounds as though these are Manual Reminders, is that correct? If so, save a backup by navigating to File > Copy or Backup File... in the upper menu at the top of the screen, then proceed through the instructions listed below:
      • Navigate to File
      • Select Validate and Repair File...
      • Select Validate File
      • Click OK
      • Close the Data Log
      • Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
      • Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists. 

If you are still noticing difficulties after you have attempted those recommendations, you may try the following: 

1. Navigate to File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Select Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.
    I look forward to hearing about your results, if you have the chance to check back in with us about this. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • aec618
    aec618 Member ✭✭
    Hi Jared--

Yes, these are manual reminders. Thanks for the info. Trying it now.
  • aec618
    aec618 Member ✭✭
    edited December 2022
    OK, so I did the super validate and it says it deleted two damaged scheduled transactions. I then closed Quicken for > 5 seconds, re-opened it, looked at bill reminders, and there were about 8 of them at the top of the list that were orange--it said "Auto" but they were orange and overdue. So for each of them in turn one at a time, I right clicked it, selected "Edit this instance and all future instances", then changed it from auto enter to "remind me" and hit "done". This resulted in the reminder still being orange, but it said "Due". Then I right clicked again as above, and then changed it back to "automatically enter". Then it was orange but said "Auto" again. I double clicked the reminder and a box came up to enter it into the register. I did so.
    I really hope these fixes "take"--otherwise it sneaks up on me and I don't realize I have stuff coming up in the checking account etc because it doesn't get entered. For example, I think I have plenty of money in there but I don't--the bank is going to draft out my car payment next week. But the reminder isn't there to remind me. Frustrating.
  • aec618
    aec618 Member ✭✭
    Looked again today--4 different bill reminders are now red, even though set to auto.
    I think I'm going to delete them all and re-enter them :/
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the frequency (monthly, weekly, etc.) on these problem reminders?
    What is the number of days in "Auto-enter [xx] days in advance"?
    If you can, please try the following:
    Change to "Remind me [xx] days ..." and manually execute the past due reminder once.
    Did the reminder properly advance to the next instance or did it skip one or more instances (e.g., monthly, due in Nov., after recording now due in Dec. on correct date)?
  • aec618
    aec618 Member ✭✭
    They are various. Most are monthly, some are quarterly, some annually. I have already done what you suggest except I did not manually execute one in-between switching it from auto to remind me to back to auto. But tonight I'm deleting them all and setting up new ones after restarting and validating the Quicken program.
  • aec618
    aec618 Member ✭✭
    OK, so I deleted all my reminders and re-entered them. Hopefully that does the trick.
    Interestingly, two reminders were supposedly set up by loans I have set up in Quicken--mortgage and car loan. But when I tried to edit those within the loan accounts, it would not let me complete the process. I'd be on the screen to enter all the amounts--principal and interest, extra amounts etc---I'd fill it all in, and it wouldn't do anything. So I just deleted the loan accounts and made new scheduled transactions that are simple--they aren't split between categories or attached to a loan. They are assigned to a single, new category, e.g. "mortgage loan".

I then ran super validate again, and it (still) keeps telling me:
    "Quicken found a damaged scheduled reminder and removed it. Please check your scheduled reminders by going to Tools>Manage Bills and Income Reminders."
    It would be GREAT if Quicken would tell me the specific reminder that it has an issue with. But it doesn't. I counted all my reminders after getting this message, and they are all still there, and they look OK, so I'm not sure what was deleted.
    I'll watch for a few weeks and see if they start turning red by themselves (=overdue, even though auto-scheduled) again.
    Also, end of year is soon, and I'll be doing an EOY archive and starting with a trimmed down data file--hopefully that will help since super validate is now flagging possible "defective" transactions that are really previously made loan payments that aren't splitting right anymore because I deleted the loan account.

This program is supposed to make doing my finances EASIER!
  • Joe Batt1940
    Joe Batt1940 Member ✭✭
    Hi All, I have spent a considerable amount of time on the phone with Quicken Support people trying to get to the reason why a repeating Manual Bill Reminder that repeats monthly for the same amount of money shows up in my list of Reminders for the first month and then never repeats for the following months. I entered the required data over and over again to make sure I was entering all of the data requested to no avail. The last time I spoke to Customer Support they promised to look into why that was happening, but that was 6 months ago. They still have not fixed it :( . I would think that it should not be that difficult to fix. I provide the name of the Payee, the amount of the bill, which account the money will come out of, the day of the month it should be paid and the result should be a Register entry every month until I cancel it. Come on, guys!! How hard can this be? This is one of the very few complaints I have had with this software.
  • Joe Batt1940
    Joe Batt1940 Member ✭✭
    Oh, one more thing. How come when I try to log on to Quicken Support from the Help Menu inside the Quicken program and I put in my Email Address and Password it tells me that it does not recognize my credentials? If I go out of the program to either one of my Browsers (EDGE or Google Chrome) and I put in the exact same Email and Password, I get right into the Quicken Support page. I find that rather weird.
  • aec618
    aec618 Member ✭✭
    Update on this: So, I was still getting the occasional "red" reminder when I'd hit Ctrl-J to check them (reminder listed as "Auto" but colored red, indicating it was not executed on time). I tried UKR's suggestion ^ to edit the reminder to "remind me", then execute the reminder, and THEN change it back to auto-enter. That seemed to help but I was still getting the occasional red reminder. So today, I uninstalled Quicken and then reinstalled it. Before reinstalling, I restarted the PC, and then ran Norton Utilities to clean up the computer in general. The first time I reinstalled Quicken, it failed and told me to manually uninstall C:\ProgramFiles(x86)\Quicken. So I did that, and I also deleted a Quicken folder and an old Intuit folder I found in C:\ProgramData. Then I was able to install Quicken without a problem. Interestingly, after signing in to my Quicken account, it presented me with my familiar old data file. I thought I'd have a blank slate and would need to reinstall from a backup.
    Hopefully the reminders issue will be fixed now. We'll see.
  • D-Dude
    D-Dude Member ✭✭
    :/ I've been reading the comments on this post and they ALL sound like I might have written them. I'm having the same problems using Windows 11. It would be great if Quicken would publish with an update to correct this problem that I have also experienced since Oct 2022.
  • aec618
    aec618 Member ✭✭
    Follow up: just opened Quicken and looked at the reminders and am happy to see that none of them are colored red! Hopefully this is fixed now after my recent Quicken reinstall. I also did an end of year archive and am now working with a new data file that only has this year's transactions in it. Not sure if that's related or not.
This discussion has been closed.