Attachment Indication

gabadger85
gabadger85 Member ✭✭
Once you display the attachment column in a register, is there any way to show which transactions actually have an attachment? Is it possible to search for transactions which have attachments? First time posting so please forgive any informalities.

Best Answers

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022 Answer ✓
    Once you display the attachment column in a register, is there any way to show which transactions actually have an attachment? Is it possible to search for transactions which have attachments? First time posting so please forgive any informalities.
    Hello @gabadger85,   

Thank you for inquiring about the process of searching for Attachments in the Register here on the Quicken Community.

Have you tried clicking on the 'paperclip' icon in the box in the Sort by Attachments Column at the top of the Register (after you have already attached a file)? Clicking on this should automatically transport you to each transaction containing an attachment within the Register. You can view the screenshot below for further clarification. 

Let us know if this clarifies the feature, and if you have further questions. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • gabadger85
    gabadger85 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    You are the MAN, sir! Being new to using attachments, I never knew that. Thanks so much!
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    You are the MAN, sir! Being new to using attachments, I never knew that. Thanks so much!
    Those of us who have used attachments for a while might caution you against it - i.e., do not start down that path because it's a one-way street.
    Attachments in Quicken are stored, encrypted, inside your QDF data file. This results in 3 things you may not want: (1) your QDF file gets large eventually, resulting in extra disk space used for every backup (2) backups get slow with all the extra bloat in them and (3) there's no way to get the attachments out other than through Quicken.
    You might find it more efficient to store the attachable data outside of Quicken in a Windows folder hierarchy, with the file names in each transaction rather than attachments. You lose the easy one-click to get to the attached data, but avoid the 3 hazards above.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• gabadger85
    gabadger85 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Dear Mr. Squirrel (lol),
    Your alternative solution is what I have been using for the last 40+ years - a Windows hierarchy. I scan the receipt into a PDF file and then save the file in a folder for that specific "vendor" under a general folder named "Receipts". For the "one-time/rare" purchases, I simply save the PDF file in the Receipts folder.

I do really appreciate your caution against using the attachment feature. Being new to their use, I didn't consider the "down-side" so I will just continue with my present method. Hey, for what I need, it gets the job done.

Thanks again for the "heads-up".

Answers

• Quicken Jared
    edited December 2022 Answer ✓
    Hello @gabadger85,   

Thank you for inquiring about the process of searching for Attachments in the Register here on the Quicken Community.

Have you tried clicking on the 'paperclip' icon in the box in the Sort by Attachments Column at the top of the Register (after you have already attached a file)? Clicking on this should automatically transport you to each transaction containing an attachment within the Register. You can view the screenshot below for further clarification. 

Let us know if this clarifies the feature, and if you have further questions. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • gabadger85
    gabadger85 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
  • Quicken Jared
    Hello @gabadger85,   

It's my pleasure to be of assistance, and I am really glad this seems to have answered your question. Thanks for getting back to us and letting us know that this was, indeed, the case. 

Feel free to reach out to us again anytime, and have an excellent day!

Regards,

Quicken Jared 
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Those of us who have used attachments for a while might caution you against it - i.e., do not start down that path because it's a one-way street.
    Attachments in Quicken are stored, encrypted, inside your QDF data file. This results in 3 things you may not want: (1) your QDF file gets large eventually, resulting in extra disk space used for every backup (2) backups get slow with all the extra bloat in them and (3) there's no way to get the attachments out other than through Quicken.
    You might find it more efficient to store the attachable data outside of Quicken in a Windows folder hierarchy, with the file names in each transaction rather than attachments. You lose the easy one-click to get to the attached data, but avoid the 3 hazards above.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• gabadger85
    gabadger85 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Dear Mr. Squirrel (lol),
    Your alternative solution is what I have been using for the last 40+ years - a Windows hierarchy. I scan the receipt into a PDF file and then save the file in a folder for that specific "vendor" under a general folder named "Receipts". For the "one-time/rare" purchases, I simply save the PDF file in the Receipts folder.

I do really appreciate your caution against using the attachment feature. Being new to their use, I didn't consider the "down-side" so I will just continue with my present method. Hey, for what I need, it gets the job done.

Thanks again for the "heads-up".
This discussion has been closed.