Transactions incorrectly matching

Options
mcars75
mcars75 Member
We have one expense that happens every month for $50. We also receive a $50 contribution from our employer every month. I have a scheduled bill on the 4th of every month for the credit card transaction, and the HSA contribution occurs on the 15th.

Every month I enter the scheduled bill in the register, then do the auto-update to my credit card and reconcile it (Capital One, this works fine). The scheduled bill has the amount, the account, and the category, as well as the date. Later in the month, I auto-update my HSA account (Payflex). It imports the $50 charge, and somehow sees it as a transfer from my credit card and matches it to the other transaction. Note that although these two transactions are the same amount, they are different dates, different accounts, and different categories. It changes the category for the previously entered (and reconciled) transaction in my credit card, now saying it is a transfer to my HSA account. If I change the category on either side of the "transfer", it deletes the opposite one. So if I change the credit card transaction back to the proper category, it deletes the transaction in the HSA account and vice versa. I always end up having to manually fix it.

Why is this? How do I prevent it from doing this going forward?

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022
    Options
    mcars75 said:
    We have one expense that happens every month for $50. We also receive a $50 contribution from our employer every month. I have a scheduled bill on the 4th of every month for the credit card transaction, and the HSA contribution occurs on the 15th.

Every month I enter the scheduled bill in the register, then do the auto-update to my credit card and reconcile it (Capital One, this works fine). The scheduled bill has the amount, the account, and the category, as well as the date. Later in the month, I auto-update my HSA account (Payflex). It imports the $50 charge, and somehow sees it as a transfer from my credit card and matches it to the other transaction. Note that although these two transactions are the same amount, they are different dates, different accounts, and different categories. It changes the category for the previously entered (and reconciled) transaction in my credit card, now saying it is a transfer to my HSA account. If I change the category on either side of the "transfer", it deletes the opposite one. So if I change the credit card transaction back to the proper category, it deletes the transaction in the HSA account and vice versa. I always end up having to manually fix it.

Why is this? How do I prevent it from doing this going forward?
    Hello @mcars75,     

I am sorry about this problem with online banking and with incorrect matches taking place. Thank you for asking about this here on the Quicken Community.

Do you have your Preferences set to Automatically add to banking registers? If so, it may be necessary to disable this by navigating to Edit > Preferences > Downloaded transactions in order to troubleshoot this issue further. If that doesn't resolve the issue, and if you haven't already attempted this, save a backup by navigating to File > Copy or Backup File... in the upper menu at the top of the screen, then proceed through these steps, in order:
    1. Navigate to File
    2. Select Validate and Repair File...
    3. Select Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists. 

If you are still noticing difficulties after you have attempted those recommendations, you may try the following: 

1. Navigate to File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Select Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

Does this seem to resolve the issue? I look forward to your answers.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @mcars75, there is a preference setting you can change to stop transaction matching from incorrectly identifying two different transactions as a transfer. 

In QW2017, the menu path is Edit | Preferences | Transfer Detection.

You can either turn off Transfer Detection completely by unchecking “Scan downloaded transactions for possible transfers” or opt to be notified about potential transfers before the transactions are changed using “Confirm possible transfers before entering in register “.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

This discussion has been closed.