Is anyone else having trouble with Ally Bank's new 2-factor authentication & Quicken

Options
tcolyer
tcolyer Member ✭✭
When I try to use One Step Update in Quicken, I get a drop down menu asking how I want to receive my secure code from Ally. I'm given only 1 choice with is SMS to a VOIP line I have. Ally will not send to VOIP. I also have a cell phone through a Canadian carrier but I am unable to enter that phone number into my Quicken choice. I also do not know if Ally will call or text that number. So I have not been able to use Quicken's web connect service the last month or two since this security system went into effect. Ally Bank is trying to say this is Quicken's problem but I'm not sure.

Answers

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    Options
    tcolyer said:
    When I try to use One Step Update in Quicken, I get a drop down menu asking how I want to receive my secure code from Ally. I'm given only 1 choice with is SMS to a VOIP line I have. Ally will not send to VOIP. I also have a cell phone through a Canadian carrier but I am unable to enter that phone number into my Quicken choice. I also do not know if Ally will call or text that number. So I have not been able to use Quicken's web connect service the last month or two since this security system went into effect. Ally Bank is trying to say this is Quicken's problem but I'm not sure.
    Hello @tcoyler,  

I am sorry about these issues with multi-factor authentication. Thank you for alerting us to this here on the Quicken Community.

if you have the chance, you could save a backup by going to File > Copy or Backup File... in the upper menu at the top of the screen and then create a 'test' data file by going to the same menu and selecting New Quicken File... Next, choose New Quicken File in the screen that follows, and then click OK. After this, choose a file location on your computer and then click Save. Choose Don't use mobile and web when prompted. 

You may then add your Ally Bank-associated accounts by navigating to the Add Account button in the upper left-hand side of the screen, denoted by the '+' symbol. Let us know if you see the same error message occurring in the test data file once this is attempted. Let us know about your results, if you get the chance. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • tcolyer
    tcolyer Member ✭✭
    Options
    Jared, I apologize for my slow reply here. I've tried to open a test data file as directed but cannot because my pop-up menu Add an Account appears only as far as the title line but does not open. This is true in my regular data file also. I am able, however, in the regular data file to deactivate and then attempt to reactivate Express Web Connect for my Ally Bank account. It's at that point where the texted authentication code becomes required, and I cannot receive it because Ally Bank does not service my mobile provider Fido. If they called me through the provider, I would be able to receive the code but they have not created that option and will only text. Formerly, they emailed the code and I had no trouble but then some "genius" decided email was not secure and went to text only for code delivery. So that is the problem I initially wrote you about. Now that I have your ear, I am wondering not only what its solution might be from the Quicken end but also how I can repair my popup menus Add an Account and Backup or Copy File because neither of them opens beyond the title line. Thank so much for your support!! TERRY
This discussion has been closed.