How to run Quicken for Windows without Internet connection

arluk
arluk Member
Been running Quicken Premier 2012 for...10 years and recently signed up for a Windows Premier subscrption. After installation, I was disappointed to find I have to log online into Quicken just to access my files. Actually, the account pops up for a second before switching to the log in prompt.

Not a fan of cloud apps. I would like
1. To store my Quicken files where I want.
2. Have a choice if and how my files sync to the Quicken cloud.
3. Control when connection to the clould occurs and what happens during any synch.
4. Be able to operate without an internet connection e.g. on an airplane or in a location with no internet connection.

Would appreciate instructions or tips how to set up Quicken for Windows as above. If this is not possible, would appreciate a definitive answer. I'll just uninstall the Windows subscription and go back to my 10-year old standalone version--with all its bugs and limitations.

Answers

• Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    @arluk - you can control whether the data is synched to the web....edit>preferences>mobile and web, turn off synch

you may want to read through the FAQs on the account, esp this one: 

Does using a Quicken ID mean that my information is stored in the cloud?

Don't worry, creating a Quicken ID doesn't impact or change the data in your Quicken file, and, as always, your data is secure. Your Quicken file is stored on your computer and if you have any bank account logins or passwords, or a password vault stored in Quicken, those will remain stored locally on your computer, too.

https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-id-frequently-asked-questions

there is no issue working in Q when in 'airplane' mode......

• arluk
    arluk Member
    Mark:

Thanks for quick response: turning off synch makes sense. However...it was already off: I turned it off during installation. Just now exited the app, then relaunched. My personal file came up without logging in, but maybe because I logged in to ready your reply. Opened my business account and was presented with a log on screen again--not my account.

Not sure why the insistance of logging on several times just to use the product.

Any other reasons it would require a log on every time I open an account?

Scott
  • Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    @artuk - I am not following...once you logon the first time into Quicken, there should be no reason to present your userid and password again (I am referring to the information at edit>preferences>quicken ID.  are you being asked to enter that login and password multiple times?????

when you state your business account, is that your Quicken data or are you referring to something else? 

• arluk
    arluk Member
    Mark: Yes, I was being asked multiple times in the same Quicken session. In each case, I'm referring to Quicken data, e.g. distinct Quicken Files.

I think I found what was going on: after installing Quicken, each time I opened a new Quicken File, it requires a log on. I have 5-6 files I use regularly, so was opening each one in succession. Once I've logged on for the file, apparently I can go back to that file and open it without logging on as you say.

I'm guessing Quicken treats each data file separately as if I'm a new user--for reasons I cannot say since I did not close Quicken between each instance of opening a new Quicken data file. Same logged in session, multiple times being asked to log on.

Each time I was asked do I want to synch mobile and internet vs. use without internet. Maybe that is the logic: internet/mobile mode is specific to each data file, so [before I'm asked whether I want internet/mobile], I have to sign in just in case I do want synching which would require logging on....

Thanks for your help.

Kind Regards,
    Scott
  • Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    @arluk - yes, you must provide userid and password for each *.qdata file, but that is a one time event for EACH *.qdata file.  If you don't want to synch to the cloud, you must change the preferences for each *.qdata file, but again, once it's set once for each file, you should be prompted again
This discussion has been closed.