most of my accounts no longer display

Options
I am new to quicken. I have set up online accounts. I also track a petty cash account and debit account offline.
Suddenly most of my accounts seem to be missing. The only one that remains is the Petty Cash account, all else are gone.
Any ideas? Any solutions?
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Copy the .qdf file using file explorer from your hard drive to a jump drive.  Then when you get to the other location, plug it in and copy that data file to your computer there, overwriting the one that is there from the last time.

Quicken Business & Personal Subscription, Windows 11 Home

Answers

• Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Where are you seeing this?  That is are they  not listed on the account list (CTL-a)?

• davidlmoreland
    Options
    Correct.
    not available in the account list (CTL a).
    Also no longer under accounts as viewed in navigation panes on the left.

Thank you for your help!
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Please open the File Menu in Quicken.
    At the bottom of the list, there will be a list of recently used file names, e.g.,
    The file numbered "1" (and checkmarked) is the currently open data file.
    Files numbered "2" - "4", when any names appear in the list, are recently used file names.
    Does a file numbered "2" exist in your list? And is it possible that this file contains all your other "missing" accounts because, when creating the Petty Cash account, you mistakenly also created a new, separate data file?
  • davidlmoreland
    Options
    Great thinking, but not the issue. I have only one file and it is checkmarked.
  • Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Please re-read @UKR's post.  You are looking at backups.  You could also choose the menu option "find quicken files" to see what you have. In Quicken you do not need to save files as you work; they are automatically updated while you are working on one.

• davidlmoreland
    Options
    Hi Bob_L,
    Find Quicken Files provided 5 backups. I selected file dated 12/14. I chose to create a Copy, which allows me to save it again. Am I on the right path?
  • Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think so. When you open the copy you can tell if that has the missing accounts.  If so you should use it going forward. One step update will bring your connected accounts back to the present. 

I like to Create a shortcut of my quicken current file and put the shortcut on the desktop. Then I launch quicken by double clicking the file shortcut.

• davidlmoreland
    Options
    The Plot thickens. I am missing the accounts and all the budget categories I set up as well. I cannot seem to find anything in the backups as well. (I first noticed that accounts were missing on Mobile while traveling.)

I am working on 2 machines- work and home. I am signed in on both using the same credentials. I cannot get to the home machine until this evening, but could that be the issue?
  • Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Please describe what you are doing with "2 machines",, e.g. where is the file?

• davidlmoreland
    Options
    The fact that I do not understand your question indicates that that may be the issue.

I downloaded quicken on my home computer and started setting it up including online accounts.

Several days later I downloaded quicken to my office computer, accessed it using the same credentials and worked on budget items. I may have set up the cash accounts. I don't remember for sure.

Then was about to travel I loaded Mobile on my phone.

Mobile is where I first noticed the missing accounts. I plan to get on my home machine tonight.

Still - budget items that I definitely put in on my work computer are missing as well.

And I do need to set Quicken up to be used on several devises.

Your thoughts?
  • Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Quicken is not designed to be run that way.  For example some folks will put their data file on one drive, etc. and that leads to trouble as you should not do that.  Your best bet is probably going to be to make your home desktop the main quicken location with the data file stored there.  Then you could use quicken mobile to sync to that main file, though many of us here stay away from mobile entirely as it has been known to cause problems.  You could also try the web version, though I have never used it.  Perhaps others with experience with the web version will stop by this post.

• davidlmoreland
    Options
    Good information. but if it is not good to put data file on one drive etc., where can I safely put it. I don't want to keep it on my home computer hard drive as it may crash. Can I save backups to a jump drive?

What issues do I have when I want to change to a laptop as the primary device?
  • davidlmoreland
    Options
    Quicken on my home computer is find.

I backed up to a jump drive and opened it through Quicken on my work computer and all the accounts seems to be right.

Will it create a problem if I use several window computer that have quicken installed and saving the back up to designated jump drive and opening that file each time?
  • Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Yes backing up to the jump drive, then opening quicken at work and using File, Restore for the backed up file will work.

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I would suggest copying your Quicken data file between computers. Too many backup/restore operations can cause the "You have exceeded the maximum number of datasets" error.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My bad, forgetting that.  It takes a lot though, but copying is the better practice as @Greg_the_Geek suggested.  

• davidlmoreland
    Options
    Thank you for the help.
    How do I go about "copying your Quicken data file between computers."
  • Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Copy the .qdf file using file explorer from your hard drive to a jump drive.  Then when you get to the other location, plug it in and copy that data file to your computer there, overwriting the one that is there from the last time.

• davidlmoreland
    Options
    Thank you Bob!
This discussion has been closed.