Deleting transactions and reimporting a transaction file?

Options
brucehobbs
brucehobbs Member ✭✭
After importing a transaction file I discovered that many transactions had the wrong payee because of an overly broad renaming rule. I've deleted the rule. Is it possible to simply delete all the imported transactions and reimport the transaction file?

Best Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    You can do this if you restore a backup file from before when the transactions in question were imported.  If you try to do it with your file after the transactions were imported, Quicken will "remember" that those transactions were previously imported and will prevent them from be added, again, to the register.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.15 on Windows 11)

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Alternatively, if there are large numbers of transactions that all need to have the same payee, you can change them as a batch. Select the transactions you want to change (using the search box and/or shift-click and command-click). Then click menu File > Get Info. Enter the correct payee name and accept. All the transactions' payees will be changed at once.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    You can do this if you restore a backup file from before when the transactions in question were imported.  If you try to do it with your file after the transactions were imported, Quicken will "remember" that those transactions were previously imported and will prevent them from be added, again, to the register.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.15 on Windows 11)

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Alternatively, if there are large numbers of transactions that all need to have the same payee, you can change them as a batch. Select the transactions you want to change (using the search box and/or shift-click and command-click). Then click menu File > Get Info. Enter the correct payee name and accept. All the transactions' payees will be changed at once.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • brucehobbs
    brucehobbs Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you both for your quick replies on a weekend! In the future I'll create a backup prior to manually importing data. I was already aware of the batch change capability. In this case there weren't many transactions with the same payee, but I did use that feature when I could.
This discussion has been closed.