Why doesn't the Net Worth report for investment account use the share price data?

Dr_B
Dr_B Member ✭✭
edited February 2023 in Reports (Mac)
I'm trying to generate a balance sheet for a trust that only contains shares. The Net Worth report generates a value which is a sum of all cash transactions as far as I can tell and it does not seem to reference the share price data that I have input, i.e., unrealised capital gains/losses are not accurately reflected. As far as I can tell they aren't included at all.

For a brokerage account containing only shares, the Net Worth Report for today produces a wildly different value from the Portfolio Value shown for the same account and same date.

It was so simple to produce a Balance Sheet and P/L using Quicken Mac 2007. Sadly, this very basic capability is missing from the current version.

Answers

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    I'm not seeing that. When I run a Net Worth report, my brokerage account values look correct and change as I change the date of the report.

What sort of investments do you have in your account? Mine has mutual funds & ETFs.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• Dr_B
    Dr_B Member ✭✭
    The account consists only of shares listed on the Australian Stock Exchange so I have to enter all prices manually. I only enter them monthly but I always enter the value on 31 Dec using my broker-provided report.

When I click on the value it opens a window showing all cash transactions. This suggests that it defines net worth as the sum of transactions whereas I only need the market value on 31 Dec plus the cash in the trading account to complete my tax documents (3520, 3520a).

Possibly unrelated is my observation that Quicken Mac struggles with time stamping when I’m in Australia rather than in California. Or perhaps I have not correctly configured currencies. I don’t use the foreign currency features of the software knowingly because the forex rates it specifies often differ from those I have sourced from oanda and xe since 1990 - consistency and continuity are essential for me. None of these issues occurred with QM2007, sigh.

I’ve not checked what happens with my US-based share account.
  • Dr_B
    Dr_B Member ✭✭
    Hello again, Jon. I've delved a little deeper and perhaps I and Quicken have different definitions of Net Worth. For my purposes it should just be the value of cash and the value of the shares on the date of the report.

When I generate a Net Worth detail report by clicking on a value in the Net Worth report the detail report contains unrealized cap gain transactions for the shares that I still hold and these values match the actual Gain/Loss values in the Portfolio window. So that is reassuring.

The detail report also contains all of the individual transactions such as interest/dividend payments, buy/sell, and expenses that were paid from the cash held in the account. I also can confirm that all the cost bases are correct and that I can derive the correct value of the shares on a particular date from the cost basis and unrealized gain entries.

The sum of all the transactions in the detail report does not match the value I clicked on in the Net Worth report to generate the detail report.

It would help if I could understand why the sum of the transactions in the detail report doesn't match the value in the Net Worth report.
  • Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 2023
    When I run that report on my Roth IRA, which I recently moved from Vanguard to Fidelity, the Net Worth is correct but when I open up the details there are only a few thousand dollars in unrealized gains - the total is wildly off. All the individual lots that I'd purchased over the years got moved over to the new account in Add Shares transactions and the # shares & purchase prices are correct for each of them, but the figure in the Amount column is $0 in each case and that's what the Details report adds up.

So you might look to see how many Add Shares transactions with a $0 Amount you have & if the current value of the securities in those transactions adds up to the difference between the two reports.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• Dr_B
    Dr_B Member ✭✭
    Jon, Thank you very much for the Add Shares suggestion. I will do little more digging and see if this resolves things.
This discussion has been closed.