make it possible to write and print checks from a brokerage account

Options
mgottfredson
mgottfredson Member
edited October 2023 in Investments

I have a fidelity account. I can actually go to "enter transactions" and use transaction type "write check". But I cannot print the check. The brokerage account has a check feature, and I write checks out of it all the time, but I have to do it manually because I can't print a check out of the quicken account. Not very professional to hand write the checks. I would like to be able to print them.

3 votes

In Review · Last Updated

This is being investigated as a bug by the development team. QWIN-21560

Comments

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I I am not a big fan but … can’t you identify that the brokerage account has a linked checking account (Edit Account Details) and print the checks from there?  
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I just tried it and was able to print a (fake) check from my Fidelity brokerage account with no linked checking.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    By any chance is the account a retirement account?
    Because I tried this and had no problem with doing this either from the brokerage account or a linked checking account.

When I tried it from an IRA account it would let me enter the transaction, but the print dialog wouldn't allow selecting from that account.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Chris_QPW said:
    When I tried it from an IRA account it would let me enter the transaction, but the print dialog wouldn't allow selecting from that account.
    Good point. The "Write checks from" menu at the top of the Write Checks (Ctrl-W) dialog also shows which accounts are allowed to print checks and IRAs are not.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Chris_QPW said:
    Good point. The "Write checks from" menu at the top of the Write Checks (Ctrl-W) dialog also shows which accounts are allowed to print checks and IRAs are not.
    I'd call that a bug that needs to be fixed.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    UKR said:
    Chris_QPW said:

But how?

One could easily argue that it is impossible to write checks in an IRA account, and therefore the fix would be not to allow the print action in an IRA account.
    Signature:
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Chris_QPW said:
    UKR said:
    Chris_QPW said:

But how?

One could easily argue that it is impossible to write checks in an IRA account, and therefore the fix would be not to allow the print action in an IRA account.
    That argument doesn't hold water. My brokerage allows checks to be written to make withdrawals from my IRA account. They sent me a whole booklet of these checks.
    The "Enter transactions" dialog allows a Write checks transaction to be recorded in the IRA account. There also is a checkbox there to queue this check for printing.
    The only problem is that the "Write (and print) Checks" dialog does not allow the IRA account to be selected and therefore the entry in the print queue cannot be found and printed.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I guess I'm living in the past, just like Quicken is.   ;)

If it is possible at the brokerage, then it should be possible in Quicken.
    It does seem like it would be an easy fix.  They are purposely filtering out the IRA accounts.
    Signature: