Why are my single pay Budget Items being doubled?

BobbyP
BobbyP Member ✭✭
As of late, whenever I add a new bill reminder for a single payment, I see two reminders (one positive and one negative) in the bill reminder in budget for the category and the budget line item is doubled (??)
Tagged:

Comments

• Me too. The problem seems to have arrived about the same time that the expense subcategory issue arrived. I'm using the PC Deluxe version. No errors reported in the Validate and Repair process. The bill shows up properly (just once) in the Projected Balance report.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Me too. The problem seems to have arrived about the same time that the expense subcategory issue arrived. I'm using the PC Deluxe version. No errors reported in the Validate and Repair process. The bill shows up properly (just once) in the Projected Balance report.
    Hello @BobbyP and @johnthewonderful,    

We are sorry about this problem with strange doubling of Budget items. Thank you for talking with us about this here on the Quicken Community. 

Do you remember roughly when this issue began? Also, have you tried restoring from a recent backup? We recommend saving backups frequently by navigating to File > Copy or Backup File... in the upper menu at the top of the screen. Provided that this has been done often, you should be able to restore from a backup that was saved just prior to when this issue emerged by navigating to File > Restore from backup... in the same menu. I am curious about whether or not this problem continues in the restored file.

We look forward to hearing back from you about your results, if you can check back in with us about this. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • BobbyP
    BobbyP Member ✭✭
    edited February 2023
    As was mentioned, this started with in the last two updates or so. I frequently save files to backup but rarely restore from backup. In this case, sorry but this does not make sense to restore from backup [Removed - Speculation/Rant] .
  • I first saw this issue shortly after installing the last update. It's really strange in that it seems to affect only 1 bill. In an attempt to leave this and the Expense subcategory issue behind, as well as a new need to use a facility in the Premier version, I upgraded a few days ago. The double dip is still there. It only shows up in a budget quickie mini report for that category/month Actual. It does not show up the Projected Cash report. Very strange.
  • Pinot83
    Pinot83 Member ✭✭
    Same problem here. Bill Reminder amounts are being doubled in the Actual column of the budget.
  • Pinot83
    Pinot83 Member ✭✭
    I noticed that this only seems to happen with single payment bill reminders. Recurring bill reminders are not doubling in the budget. My workaround is to make single payment reminders into recurring reminders of $0.00 and then adjust the next scheduled payment to the actual amount. Clumsy, but it will have to do for now.
  • khg
    khg Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2023
    I have the same issue. I updated to R47.15 a few days ago, and that's when I first noticed this bug. I worked around it as follows: Instead of selecting "Only once" for the "How often" drop-down, I chose "Monthly" on the one day I wanted it to happen, then chose for "End date" for it to "End after" 1 reminder. This fixed it in my budget.
  • Yeah khg! That works for me. Nice find as a workaround.
  • BobbyP
    BobbyP Member ✭✭
    Would be nice if Quicken would acknowledge the problem. Too many of us are having it. Why should we have to work around something so easy to reproduce and get a fix on their radar.. ?? Quicken goes dark sometimes for too long on easy ones.
  • Scooterlam
    Scooterlam SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta

If you have not already done so, please “report a problem” in the help menu, for those that have this issue. Reference this thread in your report.

I also see this problem but only with NEW manual bill reminders. Existing one-time bill reminders are fine. I am running Windows R47.15. HBR. This is easily reproducible.

1. In Bills and Income tab, create a future, one-time, manual bill
    2. In Planning>Budget tab, set budget actions>view options to “include reminders”
    3. In Budget>Annual View, find the actual, future expenses. View the doubled expense mistake.
    4. Click into the expense and view the + / - expense. See image.

@Quicken Jared - Can you recreate and raise it to the development team?

• BobbyP
    BobbyP Member ✭✭
    So, here we are more than a month into this and unless I missed something, Quicken hasn't acknowledged this problem that most all are experiencing. Boy oh boy Quicken should be looking in their review mirror for a upcoming rival. With all the recent problems, I's jump ship in an heartbeat. Like others, we've used this product for many years and for some reason, this last year it has been way more buggy than before. Maybe they are adding too many features too quickly and not enough QA? Why not back some of the new stuff out and get us back to square one and release new functionality slowly and methodically. Sounds reasonable to me.. Otherwise they are going to lose a lot of customers when (not if, because we know it will) comes along to displace them. Right now, they dont seem to have a lot of direct competition and they are acting that way.
  • Roger Starr
    Roger Starr Member ✭✭
    I just realized that I was having this problem also. The last two utility bills that I manually entered were doubled. Thanks to khg for the workaround. That worked for me also.
  • ddavis829
    ddavis829 Member ✭✭
    edited March 2023
    > @Quicken Jared said:
    >
    > We are sorry about this problem with strange doubling of Budget items. Thank you for talking with us about this here on the Quicken Community. 

This has been going on for MONTHS. I first contacted support for it a while ago, wasted about an hour with them, and they asked me to roll back to a December version and wait until the latest one comes out. I just updated to the latest to give it a try and it's still here.

What are we spending our money on Quicken for if you can't get simple functions straightened out?

@Quicken Jared, look up case #9963318 from January 12th to get an idea of how long I've been dealing with this.
This discussion has been closed.