Investment Tracking Changing Spontaneously

System
System Member admin
edited March 2023 in Investing (Windows)
This discussion was created from comments split from: Where is my investment transaction register?.

Comments

• Grinde
    Grinde Member ✭✭
    I have a similar issue.

Mid-December 6 of 10 investment accounts magically changed from complete to simple. Yesterday, I had time to reconcile my investments for December and January. To my surprise, when opening the investment account, I found a nice summary of the holding in the account, but no transaction register. When I checked the account type was changed to simple.

To recover, First, backup. Then I switched the account (all the accounts) back to complete. I then deleted all the "summary" inserts that were added when I did updates since mid-December. Then I thought I would only need to do another update to get all the missing transactions from mid-December to now (Feb 5). No such luck. Apparently, Quicken holds a "last-download-date" for each account and will not download the missing transactions. I manually inserted the missing December transactions from a statement for one account and I was able to reconcile the one account.

Manually updating hundreds of transactions to fix a problem is not practical. Nor is it practical to create temp accounts and reconnect to each institution so I can export/import or move transactions from the temp acct to the real acct.

There must be a way to set the "last-download-date" for each account. If not, it's time to put out a hotfix to allow the date to be changed from the account setup page.

I assume the account change occurred on a Quicken release update. I assume I'm not the only one with this issue based on some of the other threads on the topic.

Based on the info above, I did disable "simple" as an option. Again, I do not know when this feature was added. But, I do not remember being asked about simple or complete when I set these accounts up years ago.

Thanks for your help.
  • Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Grinde said:
    I have a similar issue.

Mid-December 6 of 10 investment accounts magically changed from complete to simple. Yesterday, I had time to reconcile my investments for December and January. To my surprise, when opening the investment account, I found a nice summary of the holding in the account, but no transaction register. When I checked the account type was changed to simple.

To recover, First, backup. Then I switched the account (all the accounts) back to complete. I then deleted all the "summary" inserts that were added when I did updates since mid-December. Then I thought I would only need to do another update to get all the missing transactions from mid-December to now (Feb 5). No such luck. Apparently, Quicken holds a "last-download-date" for each account and will not download the missing transactions. I manually inserted the missing December transactions from a statement for one account and I was able to reconcile the one account.

Manually updating hundreds of transactions to fix a problem is not practical. Nor is it practical to create temp accounts and reconnect to each institution so I can export/import or move transactions from the temp acct to the real acct.

There must be a way to set the "last-download-date" for each account. If not, it's time to put out a hotfix to allow the date to be changed from the account setup page.

I assume the account change occurred on a Quicken release update. I assume I'm not the only one with this issue based on some of the other threads on the topic.

Based on the info above, I did disable "simple" as an option. Again, I do not know when this feature was added. But, I do not remember being asked about simple or complete when I set these accounts up years ago.

Thanks for your help.
    Hello @Grinde,  

We are sorry to hear about this issue with Investment Tracking. Thank you for seeking assistance with this issue here on the Quicken Community.

First, can you tell us what financial institution is associated with the account? Also, what connection method are you currently making use of in order to add or link your accounts to online banking services? Please note that you can verify this anytime by going to Tools > Account List and then clicking on the Edit button in the row associated with the affected accounts. Next, go to the Online Services tab in the new window that appears afterward. The information we are looking for should be found under the Online Setup callout box. 

I look forward to your answers, and hope to provide additional advice.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Grinde
    Grinde Member ✭✭
    edited February 2023
    Hi Jared,
    I'm using fidelity. Attached is the screenshot of one account of the account setup. I did change the global setting to disable simple and not sure that would change anything on the account online info.

I see in the release notes some changes in the area with investments and about the time my problem started.
    R46.9: Fix an issue with Simple/complete.
    R45.21: Fix an issue with investment partners.

Sadly, I can cut and paste from the release notes window or search, which is also not re-sizable so I can fit nicely on the screen.
    (Note: I'm a software architect.)

Thanks.

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Grinde,     

Thank you for answering my earlier questions about the situation; we do apologize that this situation is continuing.

If you have the chance, you could save a backup by going to File > Copy or Backup File... in the upper menu at the top of the screen and then create a 'test' data file by going to the same menu and selecting New Quicken File... Next, choose New Quicken File in the screen that follows, and then click OK. After this, choose a file location on your computer and then click Save. Choose Don't use mobile and web when prompted. 

You may then add your Fidelity-associated accounts by navigating to the Add Account button in the Tools menu option in upper left-hand side of the screen, or in the more central, upper left-hand panel, denoted by the '+' symbol. Let us know if you see the same problem with tracking changes occurring in the test data file once this is attempted. 

Knowing how this works will help us to isolate this issue. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • I am having similar issues with missing transactions from my Fidelity downloads. The above "suggestion" is not helpful.
    How can I reset the last download for accounts?
This discussion has been closed.