Adding a new security to an existing brokerage account

thomas_in_acf
thomas_in_acf Member ✭✭
edited March 2023 in Investing (Windows)
I'm helping a friend with something. He wants to add a new security to an existing brokerage account. I thought I knew how to do this, but I guess not. (I have the feeling that the answer is staring me in the face. Various help files so far haven't cleared things up for me.)

Answers

• MontanaKarl
    MontanaKarl Member, Mac Beta Beta
    Have to either do an Add Shares or a Buy

Quicken user since 1990, MacBook Pro M2 Max on Ventura 13.6.5 • Windows 11

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm helping a friend with something. He wants to add a new security to an existing brokerage account. I thought I knew how to do this, but I guess not. (I have the feeling that the answer is staring me in the face. Various help files so far haven't cleared things up for me.)
    Is the current account identified as a single mutual fund account?  (See account details). If so, you’ll need to undo that designation. Then you’ll be able to buy or add a different security to that account. 
  • bmciance
    bmciance SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    As @MontanaKarl said, add shares or buy.  However, first you need to do a couple other things:

1.  make sure you have done Tools > Security List and added the new security. 
    2. Then the next thing to make sure of is that the investment account is not a single mutual fund account.  You can check this in the account list by right clicking on the account and selecting Edit/Delete Account.  On the General tab there is a radio button for this selection. 
    Once you do/check these two things you can enter the buy or add transaction.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    And... of course - is this Quicken Account setup with a current subscription ?
    - along with using One Step Update -
    which would perform this automatically when downloaded from the brokerage - after the actual purchase of shares -
    Lastly - what brokerage - and what new security symbol ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Hey, guys, I want to thank you all for taking the time to answer my question. I've passed the link on to my friend (he's in another state), and I know he's appreciative. (I'm not sure yet how things have turned out.)
This discussion has been closed.