Scheduled Bills only deposit if they were zero due.

CSlug
CSlug Member
Any scheduled bill, like my credit cards that I pay myself, if they are scheduled as zero dollars due, when I go and 'edit & mark paid' when I edit, the zero, it will only deposit. Can't even use the minus to do as a payment. so then I have to go to register and change it to a debit.
Also, I switched to Mac a couple of weeks ago, and honestly this is such a subpar product for the same price. Anybody have any recommendations to replace quicken for Mac with something that actually works?

Answers

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    I realize this is probably stating the obvious, but those $0 bills are marked as Bills and not Income, right? Because I have several $0 bills that need to be edited every month when they get paid & I don't have the problem you're having.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• Jon
    Also, if your bill is really a transfer (like a credit card payment, for instance) make sure the Account field is the account that the payment is coming from and not the credit card account.

• Jon
    Ah, I see, you're using the "Edit & Mark as Paid" command. I don't use that, I just mark the bill as Paid in the account register & then edit it after the fact. When I select "Edit & Mark as Paid", I see the same thing you do, the transaction winds up being a deposit into the account instead of a withdrawal even though it's marked as a Bill.

• Jon
    edited February 2023
    CSlug said:
    Anything better than Quicken recommend for Mac?
    The mods won't allow that kind of discussion here, you'll need to ask somewhere else. And TBH, if there was a Quicken alternative I liked better than Quicken, I'd be using it already & hanging out on their discussion forum, not here. Q Mac isn't perfect, but for me it's the least objectionable alternative - all the other programs annoy me more.

• MontanaKarl
    MontanaKarl Member, Mac Beta Beta
    CSlug said:
    It's just frustrating. Everything worked in Windows, I port over, lose all the memos, and now I have to do all these workarounds.
    Thanks for pointing out your loss of memos for scheduled transactions.  That sure seems like a bug to me, and one I did not notice when I ported my QWin file over a few weeks ago.  I ported via importing a QXF.  Did you port using the recommended QDF conversion from the start screen/wizard?

The memos for all splits in scheduled split transaction bills DID port over fine.  It is just the main transaction memo that is lost for me.  I've seen no other data loss in my 56,000 transaction Windows QDF after porting though.  I'll report this in the Errors forum and link back to your post here.

There are a lot of different ways of working in QMac.  Some of them might be considered workarounds.  Some are just different.  And, of course, there are about a dozen things that I really miss as features of QWin that have not been implemented in QMac yet... but overall, I find the other features of QMac way more convenient, fast, reliable and intuitive compared to the duct-tape over chewing gum over legacy code that QWin has become.

I worked with a small family member QDF in both QMac and QWin  - keeping both up to date - for over a year before deciding that the limitations of QMac were worth the advantages for me.  You might give both products a month before you really decide to go back to QWin.  Just a thought.

Also, for what its worth, QWin also gets confused about zero valued transactions, just not in this case.

Quicken user since 1990, MacBook Pro M2 Max on Ventura 13.6.5 • Windows 11

This discussion has been closed.