When will the "one Step Update" be resolved? [Edited]

I need to start my 2022 IRS tax return now!

[Edited for Readability] 

Answers

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    I need to start my 2022 IRS tax return NOW!!
    Hello @Marion Swampfox,   

We are sorry about the problem with One Step Updates. Thank you for inquiring about this here on the Quicken Community.

Can you tell us about what issues seem to be occurring when trying to update your accounts? Are you noticing any particular error messages? Do only certain financial institutions seem to be affected?

I look forward to your answers.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Bim
    Bim Member ✭✭
    I am seeing the same issue where I start an update and all I get is a frozen One Step Update Progress window and "Processing data.." message. The entire program becomes frozen and then I have to go into Task Manager and end quicken process. Please help.
  • Bim
    Bim Member ✭✭
    I've already restarted my computer but still no luck
  • Quicken Jared
    Bim said:
    I've already restarted my computer but still no luck
    Hello @Bim,    

We are sorry that you appear to be affected by issues with One Step Update, as well. Thank you for letting us know about this here on the Quicken Community. 

If you haven't already, I suggest you try signing out of your data file completely and then signing back in to refresh the registration token for your Online Connected Services. However, I do recommend that you first save a backup file prior to performing these steps.

1. Navigate to Edit
    2. Preferences...
    3. Quicken ID & Cloud accounts
    4. Click Sign in as a different user (or it might say Sign in using a different Quicken ID)
    5. Follow the prompts to Sign Out
    6. Sign back in using your Quicken ID (email) and password
    Let us know how this works.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Bim
    Bim Member ✭✭
    Hi Jared, I did the below and the program still locks up. No transactions downloaded. Please advise.
    > * Navigate to Edit
    > * Preferences...
    > * Quicken ID & Cloud accounts
    > * Click Sign in as a different user (or it might say Sign in using a different Quicken ID)
    > * Follow the prompts to Sign Out
    > * Sign back in using your Quicken ID (email) and password
    >
  • Quicken Jared
    Bim said:
    Hi Jared, I did the below and the program still locks up. No transactions downloaded. Please advise.
    > * Navigate to Edit
    > * Preferences...
    > * Quicken ID & Cloud accounts
    > * Click Sign in as a different user (or it might say Sign in using a different Quicken ID)
    > * Follow the prompts to Sign Out
    > * Sign back in using your Quicken ID (email) and password
    >
    Hello @Bim,   

We are sorry about this problem with freezing and crashing that seems to be continuing. Thank you for letting us know about your results.

You may additionally try uninstalling the Quicken software using the steps listed in this Support Article, then deleting Quicken from the Program Files (x86) folder. You may then reinstall the software after following those steps using the steps listed here. 

I hope to hear back from you about this, if you get the chance to check back in with us about this. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Bim
    Bim Member ✭✭
    Jared,

So I did an uninstall/reinstall and it did result in downloading the transactions as I got the result of "Completed" for each of my accounts. But Quicken still hung on the On Step Update dialog box, and it crashed again.

Upon crashing and then restarting the program, I did see the downloaded transactions in my registers but obviously, this is not an ideal experience.

Please advise. Thanks

Bim
  • Quicken Jared
    edited February 2023

Hello @Bim ,

Thank you for getting back to me about how the situation has developed following your use of the previous instructions. We are sorry that the issue remains, even now.

First, where is your current active data file located? You can check this by navigating to File > Show this file on my computer… in the upper menu at the top of the screen. Make sure that your data file is located on the computer and not an external drive or cloud-based storage service, as these locations can cause erratic behavior and even data damage.

I look forward to your response.

Thanks,

Quicken Jared

• Bim
    Bim Member ✭✭
    Hi Jared, I do put my quicken data file in OneDrive but that has never been an issue until now. Can you please advise on how to remedy the situation? Thanks
  • Quicken Jared
    edited February 2023

Hello @Bim

Thanks for letting me know about where the data file is being stored.

First, try moving your data file to your local computer, then save another backup, and proceed through the instructions provided below, in the order in which they appear:

• Navigate to File
    • Select Validate and Repair File...
    • Select Validate File
    • Click OK
    • Close the Data Log
    • Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    • Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

If you are still noticing difficulties after you have attempted those recommendations, you may try the following:

• Navigate to File
    • Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    • Select Super Validate File
    • Click OK
    • Close the Data Log
    • Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    • Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

Let us know about your results following these steps.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared

• Bim
    Bim Member ✭✭
    Jared,

I actually did that and moved my data file off of OneDrive after a successful validation/repair process but I ALSO did the following:

I turned OFF the "Quicken Mobile & Web Sync"

Removing that setting allowed the One Step Update process to complete successfully. To identify that this was indeed the issue - and NOT moving the file off of OneDrive - I did the same thing on the data file in my OneDrive account and this also completed successfully.

So I think this Quicken Mobile & Web Sync is the one that is the cause of the problem. I remember this was an issue I had previously and had turned if off but somehow it got turned back on (not sure how). I don't really need to access my Quicken on my phone/web as I only deal with Quicken on my desktop/laptop. The reason I turned if off was the idea of using the mobile experience but due to this syncing issue, I opted not to do it. Is there anyway to fix this?

Anyways, I will still change my workflow to keep the data file locally between my desktop and laptop and only share the backup file on OneDrive as suggested from support forums and documentation.

Please let me know your thoughts and thanks for your help.

-Bim
  • Quicken Jared
    edited February 2023

Hello @Bim ,

We are sorry that this issue continued even after validating the data file. I am glad to hear that turning off the Mobile & Web Sync seems to have resolved the issue, and I appreciate the information about all of the steps you took that seemed to lead to a change in the situation.

When you ask ‘is there any way to fix this,' do you mean the problem with the Mobile & Web Sync seemingly resulting in this problem with One Step Updates? Generally speaking, it is best to turn off the Mobile & Web Sync unless you have express plans to make use of the Mobile or Web applications, as it can cause issues with online banking services. To be clear, do you now intend to make use of one or both of these applications?

I look forward to your answers, and I appreciate your efforts in getting back to us about what is happening.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared

• Bim
    Bim Member ✭✭
    > When you ask ‘is there any way to fix this,' do you mean the problem with the Mobile & Web Sync seemingly resulting in this problem with One Step Updates? Generally speaking, it is best to turn off the Mobile & Web Sync unless you have express plans to make use of the Mobile or Web applications, as it can cause issues with online banking services. To be clear, do you now intend to make use of one or both of these applications?

I actually do NOT intend to use the mobile/web applications so if you recommend turning it off, then I will make sure to keep on an eye on this setting. Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.