Reconcile Math bug

Options
wormstilt
wormstilt Member ✭✭
Trying to get my reconcile up to date, but keep getting phantom transactions that don’t exist. Statement balance and actual balance match. But when I do a reconcile the Quicken Balance will show a greater cleared balance than exists.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited February 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Sorry, I'm still not clear… So there aren't extra phnatom transactions, but you're missing transactions in your reconciliation window? So you're saying there are transactions you see in your register, within the reconciliation time period, which do not show up in the Reconcile window?

Do you have the Clr column visible in your register? (If not, please make it visible by clicking on the Columns icon on the bottom toolbar and checking Clr.) Do these transactions have any check mark (blue or green) in the Clr column?

Click on one of the transactions which is missing from the Reconcile window, and select View > Show Inspector. Toward the bottom, look at the Date Posted field. Is the date posted within the time period you are reconciling?

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993

Answers

• jacobs
    Options

You'll have to provide more information for anyone to help you. What do you mean you “keep getting phantom transactions that don't exist.”

• wormstilt
    wormstilt Member ✭✭
    Options
    EDIT: missing transactions a transaction in the middle of the period isn’t showing up in the reconcile.
  • jacobs
    edited February 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

Sorry, I'm still not clear… So there aren't extra phnatom transactions, but you're missing transactions in your reconciliation window? So you're saying there are transactions you see in your register, within the reconciliation time period, which do not show up in the Reconcile window?

Do you have the Clr column visible in your register? (If not, please make it visible by clicking on the Columns icon on the bottom toolbar and checking Clr.) Do these transactions have any check mark (blue or green) in the Clr column?

Click on one of the transactions which is missing from the Reconcile window, and select View > Show Inspector. Toward the bottom, look at the Date Posted field. Is the date posted within the time period you are reconciling?

• wormstilt
    wormstilt Member ✭✭
    Options
    All transactions Cleared in both the normal window and the reconcile window
    timeframe 11/16 to 12/13
    Transaction 11/19 is visible
    transaction 12/03 Which is exactly the same doesn’t appear in reconcile
  • wormstilt
    wormstilt Member ✭✭
    Options
  • wormstilt
    wormstilt Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thanks, that is it the date posted is outside the reconcile window. So, the import attached itself to the wrong occurrence? Even so why is Quicken using that date instead of the one assigned to it?
  • jacobs
    edited February 2023
    Options

Thanks for the screen shots. So it's actually the $90 near the top of your register screenshot which is missing from the Reconcile window. I can't tell the dates because you didn't capture dates in your screenshot; it's the transaction between the $1.00 and $8.46 transactions. Please click on this $90 transaciton in your register and do View > Show Inspector. Toward the bottom, look at the Date Posted field. Is the date posted within the time period you are reconciling?

• jacobs
    Options

For reconciliation, Quicken always uses the date posted. Which makes sense when you think about it — you're reconciling what's in Quicken to what happened at your bank, so the posted date supplied by the bank to Quicken accurately reflects the bank account activity.

I don't know if the downloaded transaction attached itself to the wrong occurence in your Quicken. You can Control-click on the transaction and select Reject Automatic Transaction Match if you think that's what's wrong; Quicken will separate the downloaded and manually-created transactions. You can then manually match the downloaded transaction to a different manually-entered transaction, or re-match it to the original one, by dragging the downloaded transaction over the appropriate manually-entered transaction.

This discussion has been closed.