Quick Pay essentially ending for me?

Options

Am I reading this right? I just got an email saying that now Citi and Bank of America will discontinue the ability to pay their bills via Quick Pay, joining Chase who did this several months ago. The email implies that we can still pay those bills via check pay, which is a pain and takes forever for the bank to get it, so really not an option for me. So now Quick Pay will no longer work for 2 of the 3 bills and I have to go directly into the bank's web site to authorize the $$ to be taken from my checking account. Quick Pay is the primary reason I ever got Quicken, so tell me, why should I continue using Quicken? Is this a temporary thing? Will Quicken eventually fix this?

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

It's the banks requiring these changes “for better security”, as a result of some government ruling. There's nothing Quicken can do to make Online Bill Pay and Quick Pay work if the banks close their doors to this service.

If your bank (the one that runs your checking account) recently required you to reauthorize your checking account and/or your bank has changed from "Direct Connect" to either "Express Web Connect" or "Express Web Connect+" you can no longer use Online Bill Pay direct to the bank or Quicken Bill Manager's Quick Pay function. The bank no longer supports this function through Quicken.

You have these alternatives (in no particular order of preference):

1. Use Quicken Bill Manager's Check Pay making sure to submit payment early enough (at least 3 weeks before due date) to allow time for delivery and processing.
    2. Logon to the bank's website and schedule your bill pay payments to be executed by the bank. In parallel to that, in Quicken use a regular Scheduled Reminder to record your payment. Repeat every time another payment is due.
    3. Bypass Bill Manager. Logon to the biller's website once and set up their Autopay, APS, Direct debit, etc. service to make the current payment and all future payments on Due Date directly from your checking account. In parallel to that, in Quicken use a regular Scheduled Reminder to record your payments before they come due.
    4. Write (or print with Quicken) a paper check and mail it to the biller, making sure to mail payment early enough (at least 10 days before due date) to allow time for delivery and processing.

I've been using a variation of method #3 for decades, since before the Internet and dial-up were even introduced. It's easy to get used to this process. And I have yet to miss a single payment.

• Geri Price
    Geri Price Member ✭✭
    Options
    These are certainly options, but a big step backwards. It sounds like Quicken needs to come up with a bill pay technology that the major financial institutions accept and that pass their security requirements.
  • Ron H
    Ron H Member ✭✭
    Options
    I agree with the OP. I began with Checkfree in the 90's, and paying bills online is now more time consuming.

Plus, the marketing buzzwords...Bill Pay, Quick Pay, Check Pay, Bill Minder, Direct Connect, Web Connect, Express Web Connect +...and the convoluted instructions on using/switching methods, is insane.

When the Chase fiasco took effect I began making payments on their website and entering the info manually in Quicken. Last week, out of curiosity, I entered a $1.00 payment to Chase in my Wells Fargo account in Quicken, marked it "Send" to see what happened. Four days later the payment was posted to my Chase credit card account.

I thought such payments would not work.

So my question -- in simple terms, are we able to pay Chase, Citi, BofA or other Express Web Connect + accounts by entering as a payment to send like previously done (using Wells Fargo in my case). If NOT, then why did my test $1.00 payment show as applied in my Chase account.

If I have to go to four websites to make payments and re-enter the information in Quicken, I could basically do the same in Excel and save the Quicken subscription!
This discussion has been closed.