Investment Buys not reducing Cash Balance

Options
BillE14
BillE14 Member

I opened a Roth IRA account and used 'ContribX' transactions to put funds into it. Value of funds deposited = Cash Bal. So far so good.

Then I entered a few 'Bought' transactions. Each transaction is listed, but Cash Bal stays the same. I expected Cash Bal to be reduced by each Inv Amt.

See attached screenshot.

Other investment accounts are working as expected. What am I doing wrong with this one?

[Removed - Screenshot - Personal Info]

Best Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

The N/As in the Cash Amt column usually indicate that there are hidden Placeholders in the account. Please go the Edit > Preferences > Investing and make sure the Show Hidden transactions box is checked,

Since you have already entered the missing transactions, you should be able to delete the Placehloders and also any previously hidden Cash Balance adustments.

Back up your data before making these changes, in case something goes wrong, and please let us know if that was the issue.

QWin Premier subscription
  • BillE14
    BillE14 Member
    Answer ✓
    Options

The hidden Placeholder entries were there, just as you predicted. I did the deletions and now the Cash Balance is accurate. Thanks!

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Answer ✓
    Options

The N/As in the Cash Amt column usually indicate that there are hidden Placeholders in the account. Please go the Edit > Preferences > Investing and make sure the Show Hidden transactions box is checked,

Since you have already entered the missing transactions, you should be able to delete the Placehloders and also any previously hidden Cash Balance adustments.

Back up your data before making these changes, in case something goes wrong, and please let us know if that was the issue.

• BillE14
    BillE14 Member
    Answer ✓
    Options

The hidden Placeholder entries were there, just as you predicted. I did the deletions and now the Cash Balance is accurate. Thanks!

• Jim_Harman
    Options

Thanks for the update.

Out of curiosity, is this a newly created Quicken file, or one you have been using for several years? The Show hidden transactions box is supposed to be checked automatically for new files, but an increasing number of Placeholder related issues have been reported recently.

• James104
    James104 Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2023
    Options

I have a similar problem: investment buy transactions not using cash from the account. Show hidden transactions is "on". There are no transactions listed under placeholder entries. For each Buy transaction (not BoughtX or Placeholder) there is an equivalent XIn Balancing Cash Adjustment transaction increasing the cash balance in the account.

If I copy and paste the transaction the result is the same; if I Edit (say, add a memo) and Enter the existing transaction it still does not use any cash; however, if I create and Enter a new equivalent Buy transaction it uses the cash.

I'm left with a negative securities value and an equal positive cash balance in the register; the accounts shows zero value in the account bar.

Is there a way to correct this without having to re-enter dozens of transactions? I've just completed Removing all the securities (they have transferred to other family members). I'd like to clean this up before I close the account.

• BillE14
    BillE14 Member
    Options

to Jim Harman: This Quicken file has been in use for years. To implement your recommendation, I needed to check the Show Hidden transactions box.

This discussion has been closed.