Quicken and offline accounting

Options
japple7
japple7 Member

Is tech support correct in telling me that if I do not utilize the cloud, when i enter a bank account payment to a credit card account, quicken will not sync the 2 accounts? Meaning, I manually enter a payment in my checking account of $100 to American express. Now I have to go to the American Express account and enter the same payment.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

Have you created both accounts in Quicken? If so, when you enter the transaction in the checking account register, there should be a down arrow in the category box. You you click the down arrow another menu should appear. You should click Transfer on the left side and your American Express account should appear in the box. Click the American Express account.

Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10

Answers

• Greg_the_Geek
    edited March 2023
    Options

No, Quicken Customer Support is incorrect. When you enter the payment in your checking account register, the category would be a transfer to your American Express account. A transfer is indicated by the account name in square brackets in the category box. You don't need the cloud unless you want to use Quicken Mobile or Quicken on the Web.

Just realized this was Quicken Mac. I believe to need to show the Transfer column in the register. Maybe a Mac expert can chime in.

• japple7
    japple7 Member
    Options

Not Mac. I have a PC. Then what am I doing wrong as I set up new accounts? The transactions are not syncing between accounts.

• Greg_the_Geek
    Answer ✓
    Options

Have you created both accounts in Quicken? If so, when you enter the transaction in the checking account register, there should be a down arrow in the category box. You you click the down arrow another menu should appear. You should click Transfer on the left side and your American Express account should appear in the box. Click the American Express account.

• japple7
    japple7 Member
    Options

yes! There it is! Thank you. So .. I need to enter all my credit card accounts first and then my bank. My desktop died mid year last year so I am entering 9 months of accounts. Ugh!

This discussion has been closed.