Making a Subcategory a Category (Q Mac)

Options
D4L3
D4L3 Member ✭✭

Once a category has been made a subcategory, or a subcategory has been created, is there a way for it to be moved to a category again?

For example, I moved Travel under Entertainment then decided I wanted it to be standalone again. There's nowhere to drag it that doesn't place it under another category and there's no option to say 'make main category' or similar.

The best workaround I found is to create a new category with the name I'd like and move all of the subcategories to it. The problem with this approach is you lose the original category.

Tagged:

Best Answer

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited March 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

You have to drag the subcategory between two categories so that neither one is highlighted, but instead there is a line between them, and drop it there. That will promote it to a category again. Try to drag it between two categories that don't have subcategories, that makes it easier. If you drag it between two categories that do have subcategories it can be hard to avoid making it a subcategory of one of them instead.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

Answers

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited March 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

You have to drag the subcategory between two categories so that neither one is highlighted, but instead there is a line between them, and drop it there. That will promote it to a category again. Try to drag it between two categories that don't have subcategories, that makes it easier. If you drag it between two categories that do have subcategories it can be hard to avoid making it a subcategory of one of them instead.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• D4L3
    D4L3 Member ✭✭
    Options

Oh, wow. I had tried that previously, but my cursor was too far to the right. I now see a tiny margin difference of it becoming a category or subcategory, depending on if you're to the left or right of where the subcategory name begins. Thank you!

This discussion has been closed.