so many quicken files

Options

I have been using Quicken for many years and now have the subscription version of Quicken Deluxe, version R48.9, running on Windows 10. There are SO many Quicken files on my computer - even after deleting many of the backup data files. Is it possible to delete every Quicken file on my computer (except for a backup) and reinstall Quicken? Seems like it would be easier then trying to figure out what all of the files represent. Thoughts?

Best Answers

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

if you have a recent version of Quicken - then all your data is in that single QDF file -
    UNLESS you also have a variety of really older QDF files with their associated "family" of files… IDX QEL QPH

All the other DAT files are log files from online operations….
    and can be deleted - they will be recreated as needed.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

You don't need the .DAT files, @DonnaYam. I generate many of them due to testing, and periodically delete them in bulk.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

Answers

• MontanaKarl
    MontanaKarl Member, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

There is no reason to reinstall Quicken if all you want to do is purge data files.

If you have ever used the year end copy procedure or the copy options to reduce your file's data date range to just more recent transactions (not recommended by any of the experts by the way) - then those othe files on your computer could be critical as being your only record of older transactions. Certainly you'll want your file to go back at least 7 years for tax purposes, etc.

If your active file has everything you need, then you can probably safely delete all of the other files that you find. But, thumb drives and other external storage is cheap. So, if you want to play it safe, copy them all to a thumb drive before deleting them.

Quicken user since 1990, MacBook Pro M2 Max on Ventura 13.6.5 • Windows 11

• DonnaYam
    DonnaYam Member
    Options

I like the idea of putting everything on external storage first. So… all I potentially need to keep on my hard drive, beside the program files, is the most recent backup? The one named xxxdate.QDF? What about all of the DAT files?

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@DonnaYam What is the EXTENSION of those file names? That's a major determinant of whether they can be deleted.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• DonnaYam
    DonnaYam Member
    Options

the files are .DAT.

Examples - Qyam2022_SyncLog.dat, and another ending OFXLOG.DAT

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

if you have a recent version of Quicken - then all your data is in that single QDF file -
    UNLESS you also have a variety of really older QDF files with their associated "family" of files… IDX QEL QPH

All the other DAT files are log files from online operations….
    and can be deleted - they will be recreated as needed.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• DonnaYam
    DonnaYam Member
    Options

Thanks! I will transfer all the files to external storage except for the .QDF file - and cross my fingers.😉

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

You don't need the .DAT files, @DonnaYam. I generate many of them due to testing, and periodically delete them in bulk.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

This discussion has been closed.