Customer deposit - How to fix a problem

tonyvanw
tonyvanw Member ✭✭
I have Quicken Home & Business. I use it for a small farm business. I am on a cash basis. I have a few customers I invoice, they pay me and everything works as expected. I now have a customer how gave me a $2,000 for future purchases. I recorded the $2,000 as a payment. I have issued invoices later than the date of the $2,000. When I issue the next statement: (i) the balance column is correctly calculated, (ii) however for the invoices issued after the date I received the deposit do not show as paid, (iii) When I look at the "Itemized Categories Report" various invoices that should show as paid do not appear.

Questions: (i) How should I record a customer deposit on future purchases?
(ii) How do I fix the problem that I have.

I had expected that Quicken would automatically apply any positive balance to future invoices. It appears that it does not work this way.

Thank you for any help you can give.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Invoices typically are marked as paid when you receive another customer payment.

For as long as the prepaid money lasts, you should once in a while record a new customer payment in the amount of $0.00 and Apply existing credits towards Outstanding Invoices:

The $0.00 payment transaction, when saved, may not result in a register transaction, but it will make updates to take the prepaid amount into consideration when marking invoices as paid in full or part.

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

Invoices typically are marked as paid when you receive another customer payment.

For as long as the prepaid money lasts, you should once in a while record a new customer payment in the amount of $0.00 and Apply existing credits towards Outstanding Invoices:

The $0.00 payment transaction, when saved, may not result in a register transaction, but it will make updates to take the prepaid amount into consideration when marking invoices as paid in full or part.

• tonyvanw
    tonyvanw Member ✭✭
    Thank you for your quick response. You have solved my problem and I have learned something new.
This discussion has been closed.