Reconciliation Opening Balance Changes
Gary Member ✭✭✭
edited April 22 in Registers & Transactions (Windows)
After reconciling, I noticed my opening balance changed to a wrong value.
This is discussed at length in the below post.
Here's what happened:
- I had recorded a funds (e.g. $100) transfer from Savings to Checking.
- The category was entered into Checking as [Savings] with brackets.
After reconciling successfully, I changed a transaction prior to that reconcilation date:
- I updated the Checking account's auto-assigned category:
- First I entered a [Savings] with an amount of -100
- Then I entered a new category: Deposit with an amount of +100
By using the [Savings] as a category, i indvertently canceled out the entry in Savings thus upseting a previously reconciled balance. My next opening balance was off by this $100.
What I did to fix this is instead of using [Saving] -100, i used [Checking] -100.
I guess this is normal behaviour but when something like this occurs, I think it would be nice if Quicken shows a popup warning that a reconciled transaction in a different account will change.
This discussion has been closed.