Why is there not an option to memorize categories in downloads from my etrade checking account?

Options
jeff.schmitz
jeff.schmitz Member ✭✭

Memorize payee works great in my credit card accounts but I have to manually add categories for every transaction in my etrade brokerage/checking account. Any idea what's going on?

Best Answer

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

If you regularly do a number of Cash/Checking - type transactions in your E*Trade Brokerage account, there's an alternative you can try:

Enable a Linked Cash/Checking account register in Quicken.
    This will appear as a regular bank checking account register with all the functions and features of same. You use it to record all the bank transactions in the linked checking register. All investment transactions (Buy/Sell/etc.) still go into the investment register.

To make the switch and enable the linked register first make a backup of your data file. Now go into Edit Account Details in the investment register and select the "Yes" radio button in "Show cash in a checking account". Depending on how many transactions you have in the account, the conversion process may take a very long time. Please be patient!
    When the conversion is complete, you'll see the new ching register appear in the Account Sidebar next to all your other personal checking accounts.

Answers

• Quicken Kristina
    Options

Hello @jeff.schmitz,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. Is this a stand alone checking account with e*trade or is it connected to a brokerage account with them?

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• jeff.schmitz
    jeff.schmitz Member ✭✭
    Options
    Hello Kistina It's connected to a brokerage account.

Jeff
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

If you regularly do a number of Cash/Checking - type transactions in your E*Trade Brokerage account, there's an alternative you can try:

Enable a Linked Cash/Checking account register in Quicken.
    This will appear as a regular bank checking account register with all the functions and features of same. You use it to record all the bank transactions in the linked checking register. All investment transactions (Buy/Sell/etc.) still go into the investment register.

To make the switch and enable the linked register first make a backup of your data file. Now go into Edit Account Details in the investment register and select the "Yes" radio button in "Show cash in a checking account". Depending on how many transactions you have in the account, the conversion process may take a very long time. Please be patient!
    When the conversion is complete, you'll see the new ching register appear in the Account Sidebar next to all your other personal checking accounts.

This discussion has been closed.