S Mode on Windows 11 Computer

Options

Setting up my new computer and need to install Quicken Delux and then transfer my data.

Is Quicken Delux set up for "S" mode ? Can not find it in the MSFT store

Answers

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

No, you need to remove your computer from S mode to run Quicken.

Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2023
    Options

S mode allows for program/app installations only from the MS Store. Most major non-MS apps (such as Quicken) do not participate with MS Store because of the fees that MS charges them.

Turning off S mode does not prevent you from still obtaining apps from the MS Store….you can still get whatever programs/apps that the MS Store lists. But by turning off S mode you open up a lot of other options for other softwares.

If you turn off S mode, you can still set up your computer to only allow software installations from MS Store or to first look in MS Store before installing software from some other source so you still get that feature if that is what you want but you are then also given the ability to override that setting and install from whatever source you want to.

IMO, S mode is too restrictive and provides little benefit. I think most people are of the same opinion because the vast majority of Windows 10/11 users do not have S mode enabled.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2023
    Options

I should have also stated that perhaps S mode is best suited for people who will be giving their children access to the computer. It will then prevent them from downloading potentially risky software from unverified sources. Everything in MS Store has been vetted by MS for safety/security so the risk of a child unintentionally downloading and installing some malware is greatly reduced. But the software options available are pretty limited.

You should feel comfortable disabling S mode provided you only download software from safe and reputable sources and you have anti-malware and firewall installed. Since you have a Windows operating system you will automatically have Windows Defender and Firewall so you should be good to go regarding that.

Quicken.com is one such safe source for Quicken software. Most major retailers (such as Walmart, Costco, Sams, Best Buy, Target) are also reputable sources. Amazon.com can be a pretty safe source, especially if you buy from an Amazon managed store. Ebay is more hit-and-miss. There are a lot of great sellers on there but some are "troublesome" sources so be more cautious when buying from there.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.26 on Windows 11)

This discussion has been closed.