Custom Defined Asset class keeps changing to Asset Mixture

Options
GTRMQuick
GTRMQuick Member
edited April 2023 in Investing (Mac)

Every time I update my accounts, my single selected asset class keeps changing to Asset Mixture. I need to see my Asset classes in the portfolio window. I see that this has been a problem since 2021…is there a work around now that it is 2023? How do I stop my selected asset classes from going back to asset mixture each time I update my accounts?

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

Let me confirm what you're doing/seeing. First, is the security in questiona mutual fund? When you open the security, there's the checkbox shown below:

Have you unchecked that checkbox, and selected a specific asset class, like this:

And are you then finding that after updating your accounts, the security changes back to the first image above?

There was an issue with asset classes after the developers introduced the investment Dashboard in version 6.3 (July 2021), but hadn't yet updated the Portfolio screen to use the same asset class data. This was finally fixed in version 6.8 (July 2022), when the Portfolio asset class breakdown began working the same as the investment Dashboard asset allocaiton card. I am not aware of any lingering/ongoing issues with asset classifications after that. (I personally let Quicken use the downloaded asset class mix data, so I haven't experienced this myself. But I also haven't read any other reports about problems in this area in recent months.)

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • GTRMQuick
    GTRMQuick Member
    Options

ANSWERS IN CAPS

Let me confirm what you're doing/seeing. First, is the security in question a mutual fund? When you open the security, there's the checkbox shown below: YES, IT IS A MUTUAL FUND.

Have you unchecked that checkbox and selected a specific asset class, like this: YES I UNCHEDK THE BOX AND SELECT A SINGLE ASSET CLASS. THE STRANGE THING THAT I NOW NOTICE IS THAT THE PROBLEM EXISTS ONLY FOR DOMESTIC BONDS (NOT STOCKS LARGE CAP OR STOCKS SMALL CAP)

And are you then finding that after updating your accounts, the security changes back to the first image above? YES AFTER UPDATING ACCOUNTS IT GOES BACK TO USE DOWNLOADED ASSET CLASS INFO

• jacobs
    Options

Well, that sure does sound like a bug. What I suggest doing is using the Help > Report a Problem screen to document what you have reported here. Give specifics (e.g. Fidelity XYZ Fund) and exactly the steps you describe above. Unfortunately, you won't receive any reply to your submission, but if someone at Quicken can verify the report, they'll document it in their bug database. If/when it will get fixed is impossible to know.

• GTRMQuick
    GTRMQuick Member
    Options

I figured it out. If I select a single asset (which automatically selects the download asset classes), I can recreate the issue. So though the single asset class is now selected and the automatically selects the download asset classes is unselected it will still download asset class info BUT…if I first toggle the download asset classes first and then select the single asset class the problem is fixed. It seems that you have to make sure the download asset classes is deselected first and then select the single asset class. Instead of going straight to single asset class.

• jacobs
    Options

Thanks for coming back and posting the solution. I agree that's confusing! It seem like a bug, albeit one with a workaround — once you discover it. If you haven't already, I'd encourage you to use Help > Report a Problem to detail what you found. Hopefully, someone at Quicken will be able to reproduce it and will document it as a bug to be fixed. You won't hear back from them, but after all the time you've spent on this, it will hopefully pay off if you submit the bug report.

• GTRMQuick
    GTRMQuick Member
    Options

Thanks for the help

This discussion has been closed.