How do I stop automatic assignment of a category when it isn't listed in Payees & Rules?

Options
tim.rohrer1
tim.rohrer1 Member ✭✭✭
Transactions for my purchases at Home Depot are automatically categorized as Home Repair, and this isn't accurate.

Under Payees & Rules, Home Depot is not showing any quick fill rules.

Why does this happen and what do I need to do to stop it?

Answers

• The Keeper
    The Keeper Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I cannot answer your question as to why this is happening but one thing you can do to stop it is, go into your payees, find Home Depot and in the "Never Auto Categorize" column place a check mark for Home Depot. Next time you enter a transaction, it won't auto categorize and you can enter whatever category you wish.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

@The Keeper I believe your reply is for Quicken Windows, and this question was asked ina Quickn Mac category. There is no "Never Auto Categorize" column in Quicken Mac that I'm aware of.

@tim.rohrer1 In Settings > Connected Services, do you have the "Automatically improve the quality of downloaded payee names and categories" checkbox checked? If so, uncheck it and see if that stops the wayward categorization. If it is already unchecked, I'm not sure why it is auto-categorizing; the operation of that checkbox has never been completerly explained, and it's hard to know whether there's a bug or not.

What you can do is create a QuickFill rule for Home Depot with your preferred category, or with no category; In the QuickFill Rule window for this rule, check the checboxes to lock the rule, and to make it the default rule for the payee.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • tim.rohrer1
    tim.rohrer1 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Thank you! I've turned it off and we'll see how things go.

For Quicken to say "Automatically improve..." is very gutsy, and wrong. Tbh, I don't know how many transactions were improved by it, but I see several that are not.

The one that really cracked me up was for a purchase I made this past month at Southwest Wheel which is a store that sells wheels, trailer parts, etc. I even looked in the OFX to made sure this wasn't a credit card categorization issue; it was not.

But it Quicken, it got renamed to Southwest Airlines and categorized as travel.

Dangerous. I'm getting less and less crazy about the the automation in Quicken.
This discussion has been closed.