Duplicate Account Transfer Transactions

Options
vernea
vernea Member ✭✭✭

Not sure exactly when this happened - whether it was the April update or the one before - but transactions transferring from one account to another are suddenly being intermittantly duplicated.

I have a holding savings account and a checking acount, and I noticed that the holding account had a negative balance.

In particular, two transactions transferring money from the holding account in August 2020 were duplicated - one transaction of the pair indicationg correctly a transfer from the holding account to the checking account, but there was now a new spurious transaction from the holding account to Transfer with no target account.

By going through statements it was relatively easy to identify these transactions and nuke them, but I think I recall having to do something similar last month with transactions that had lost information about their source in my checking account.

Anyone else seeing these anomolies?

— Thanks, Verne

Comments

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

Do you download these accounts? Is it possible that one of the duplicates is a downloaded transaction that filed to match?

Turning on the Status and Match Status columns in the register can help quickly spot such cases.

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • vernea
    vernea Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Maybe, but there's a lot of random wierdness going on.

Today, I went into Quicken to reconcile a savings account and had two transactions from 2020 and one from 2021 suddenly appear uncleared.

Checking them allowed the reconcile to proceed, but I'm getting a tad nervous about what else may be wrong with the file.

• vernea
    vernea Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Well, what I feared happened.

When I went to reconcile the Family Savings account two transactions from 2019 appeared to be uncleared.

One was a transfer from the savings account to my checking account on 10/31/2019 for $500 and one was a transfer from the checking account to the savings account from a tad later for $20. Adjusting the transfer targets found corresponding transactions in the checking account so the transactions were matched.

Trouble is, when I go to reconcile the savings account it's $500 off now, and the quicken file no longer has reconciliation data from the 11/2019 statement so I can't clear this up by simply rereconciling.

Any thoughts on how to cleaning get this resolved?

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Take a look at the account register's Opening Balance transaction, please.
    It may have been altered if you are syncing your data file to the Quicken cloud.
    If the OB transaction should have begun with $0.00 and is now +/- $500 … edit the OB amount back to what it should be.

If you can't find out what the correct OB should be: restore an older backup of your data file to a different file name and look in it for the original OB amount. Use that amount in the current data file's OB transaction.

• vernea
    vernea Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Thank you.

The opening balance was non-zero, but I was able to simply add $500 to that value and reconcile the account.

I am kind of worried about the anomolies showing up in the account file, and am wondering if anyone else is seeing this or similar behavior.

This discussion has been closed.