Quicken for Windows Version R48.15 Build 27.1.48.15 crashes

I can get quicken to crash each and every time I try to reorder the accounts.

Comments

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod

Hello @cescuuj,

Thank you for reaching out to the Quicken Community, though I do apologize that you are experiencing this issue.

Could you please provide further clarification on what exactly you are doing when Quicken crashes? How long has this been occurring? Do you receive any error codes or messages before the crash occurs?

I look forward to your response.

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• DRMick
    DRMick Member ✭✭✭

My Quicken V 48.15 just crashed when I tried to view Holdings in an investment account.

Here is the windows event log.:

Log Name: Application
    Source: Application Error
    Date: 4/19/2023 1:52:26 PM
    Event ID: 1000
    Task Category: (100)
    Level: Error
    Keywords: Classic
    User: N/A
    Computer: MICK-2020
    Description:
    Faulting application name: qw.exe, version: 27.1.48.15, time stamp: 0x6419767b
    Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.19041.2788, time stamp: 0xc7ff7cdf
    Exception code: 0xc0000374
    Fault offset: 0x000e6dd3
    Faulting process id: 0xc40
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d972fd3dec48e9
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Quicken\qw.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
    Report Id: 51286b1d-a0eb-455b-b9d1-77fabc9f63f0
    Faulting package full name:
    Faulting package-relative application ID:
    Event Xml:

0x80000000000000

Application
    MICK-2020

qw.exe
    6419767b
    ntdll.dll
    c7ff7cdf
    c0000374
    000e6dd3
    c40
    01d972fd3dec48e9
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Quicken\qw.exe
    C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
    51286b1d-a0eb-455b-b9d1-77fabc9f63f0

• Quicken Jasmine

Hello @DRMick,

Thank you for providing more information.

To start with, I suggest that you please try validating and/or super validating your data file. However, I do recommend that you first save a backup file prior to performing these steps.

Validate

1. File
    2. Validate and Repair File...
    3. Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, proceed to Super Validate. If the issue is resolved after performing validation, then please disregard the instructions to Super Validate.

Super Validate:

1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

Please let me know how this goes!

-Quicken Jasmine

• DRMick
    DRMick Member ✭✭✭

It does not fail again after restarting Q. So it is intermittent. I will do the validation but it will not prove it solved. BTW I save a backup every other time I close Q due to the instability.

• DRMick
    DRMick Member ✭✭✭

The results of Validation show hundreds of errors but they were involving ancient transaction.

Msgs like this:

Summary:

Quicken repaired 1 accounts. No action required.

QEL:

No read errors.

QEL:

Corrected a problem with an erroneous repeating model.

The following transaction(s) involving transfers appear to be damaged.

(Refers to many ancient transactions.)

Corrected 4 Bought or Shares Added transactions that were incorrectly categorized as a realized gain.

If any of these should have been for a Cover Short Sale, you should modify them. Listed:

Found 6 reinvestment transactions with zero shares; set dollar amounts to zero.

Maximum security reference: 617, number of securities: 617.

Invalid category type corrected

Analyzing securities.

Number of old style Buy/Cash/Transfer investment transactions updated: 6/0/0

No out-of-range security references found.

Validation has completed.

• Quicken Jasmine

Hello @DRMick,

Thank you for providing more information and for attempting those troubleshooting steps.

Are you still experiencing the intermittent crashing while running your Quicken application?

I look forward to hearing from you.

-Quicken Jasmine

• Greg Brown
    Greg Brown Member, Windows Beta Beta

I have been experiencing the same crash issue. I ran validate and super validate and found no errors… This has been happening intermittently for a couple of weeks.

Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.22621.1485, time stamp: 0x2451efdd
    Fault offset: 0x000ec67f
    Faulting process id: 0x0x33A4
    Faulting application start time: 0x0x1D975C25E266D01
    Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
    Report Id: 57462eb8-f854-4d57-b431-d2ebf4e55641

QHB&RP R 48.15

Windows 11 PRO 22H2 current

Quicken Business and Personal-R55.13. Windows 11 PRO current on updates

• Quicken Jasmine

Hello @Greg Brown,

Thanks for joining this thread to share that you are also experiencing this issue.

Are you experiencing intermittent crashing when performing any specific functions or does it just happen at random?

I look forward to your response.

-Quicken Jasmine

• Greg Brown
    Greg Brown Member, Windows Beta Beta

random

Quicken Business and Personal-R55.13. Windows 11 PRO current on updates

• markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta

FWIW, I've been seeing the ntdll.dll crashes for the last couple of versions. It persists in R49.22.

Windows sends an application crash report to Microsoft but the BugSplat report that Quicken used to spawn after a Windows crash no longer runs so Quicken developers don't know how frequently this is happening. What's up with that?

• QuickTX
    QuickTX Member

I also see the ntdll.dll crashes on R48.15 build 27.1.48.15. I have two separate data files that have the crashes occur. Both have been validated and super validated. The crash has happened multiple time doing different actions, but appears to be centered around the Bills & Income tab. Occasionally the columns are all narrow and cannot be expanded. I switch to another tab and then back to Bills & Income and it is fixed. Other times, going to the Bills & Income tab or entering a scheduled transaction causes the crash. On one of the date files, the crash "locks" the file and I can only reopen it after a reboot. The files are not stored on a cloud backup drive (e.g. Google Drive/One Drive/iCloud). Here are the event logs for the most recent crashe:

Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 10.0.19041.2788, time stamp: 0xc7ff7cdf
    Fault offset: 0x000e6dd3
    Faulting process id: 0x6370
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d9777c7a73b9bd
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
    Report Id: 22cca825-23ed-4540-91e8-8f4c310b4538

Fault bucket 1742747029079268210, type 1
    Event Name: APPCRASH
    Response: Not available
    Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
    P1: qw.exe
    P2: 27.1.48.15
    P3: 6419767b
    P4: StackHash_6773
    P5: 10.0.19041.2788
    P6: c7ff7cdf
    P7: c0000374
    P8: PCH_99_FROM_ntdll+0x0007306C
    P9:
    P10:

Fault bucket 2094409371651828804, type 5
    Event Name: FaultTolerantHeap
    Response: Not available
    Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:
    P1: qw.exe
    P2: 27.1.48.15
    P3: 6419767B
    P4: ffffbaad
    P5:
    P6:
    P7:
    P8:
    P9:
    P10:

• mjonis
    mjonis Member ✭✭✭✭

Yep, I reported/sent the crash details in. I think it crashed 3 times in a row. Always doing the same thing:

I have a brokerage account where I added a misc expense. Of course, in Quicken, when you click Enter/Done, it puts you to the register and you have to click Accept/Enter to actually save what you entered. At that point, it always crashes.

• Quicken Jasmine
    edited April 2023

Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, though we apologize that you are experiencing this.

We have forwarded this issue to the proper channels to have this further investigated. In the meantime, if the instructions found in the support article provided above fail to resolve the issue, then we request that you please navigate to Help > Report a problem and submit a problem report with log files attached in order to contribute to the investigation.

While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams further investigate the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.

We apologize for any inconvenience! Thank you.

(CTP-6618)

-Quicken Jasmine

• markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta

None of the log files submitted with Report a Problem contain any useful information related to the cause of the crash. BugSplat did contain useful crash dump files but it no longer runs.

• Quicken Jasmine

Hello All,

Thank you for joining this thread to share that you are also experiencing this issue.

We do now have an active alert regarding intermittent crashing within Quicken for Windows when performing different functions. You may follow this link to access that alert where you may bookmark it in order to remain up to date on any new information, ETAs, or resolutions that may occur.

We do apologize for any inconvenience caused in the meantime.

-Quicken Jasmine

This discussion has been closed.