Category not showing up?

Options
Itswindy
Itswindy Member

Hi Gang,

I'm a new user. While creating a new file for my commercial building I decided it would be easist to just delete all the categories that Quicken has and make my own simple categories. I found out quickly there are some categories you cannot delete, like "Investments". Realizing I could't delete it, I decided to use it. However now when I'm trying to categorize a transaction as, for instance, Investment: Interest, it does not show up as an option. However it does show up if you edit the category list. I've done a couple of screen captures of the edit dialog box and what happens when I try to select an investment category. Any ideas?

Thank you!

-Brad

Best Answer

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options

Investment categories can only be used with investment accounts. If you want to record interest in a checking or savings account you'll need a different category for that, something like Personal Income: Interest Earned.

BTW, if you want to get the default categories back, open the Categories window (from the Window menu), click on the circular icon in the lower left, and select Add Default Categories.

Answers

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Options

Investment categories can only be used with investment accounts. If you want to record interest in a checking or savings account you'll need a different category for that, something like Personal Income: Interest Earned.

BTW, if you want to get the default categories back, open the Categories window (from the Window menu), click on the circular icon in the lower left, and select Add Default Categories.

• Itswindy
    Itswindy Member
    Options

Thank you Jon! Now it makes sense.

This discussion has been closed.