USAA reconcilation issues

Options
2»

Answers

• Robey
    Robey Member ✭✭
    Options

Short update. I closed an account at USAA that I had been downloading for years. Quicken noted that the download no longer worked and prompted a resolution. I edited the account to deactivate online downloads. Quicken then required me to reactivate the connection with USAA. Following that, Quicken downloaded all remaining five USAA accounts and displayed a summary showing that the downloads were of various lengths, one 2594 days, another 5320 days and one for 0 days.

It appears that the reactivating of the accounts changed Opening balance dates and amounts of two accounts but not the other three. I recognized this after opening a backup I made in June.

My credit card Opening balance of $0 became $246 and my checking account Opening balance changed by $1300 (not to $1300) and the date changed also. Regarding the $246 and $1300, the respective accounts did have a recent transaction that matched that amount.

I can't really explain why or how Quicken did that but it did.

• ChrisHolzapfel
    ChrisHolzapfel Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Agree! they closed another discussion on this topic with no resolution. Absolutely ridiculous that this hasn't been rectified yet and they give a ****, no ETA answer. This error should be easily fixed by your development team. No ETA is a terrible answer.

• Lauries Haven
    Lauries Haven Unconfirmed, Member
    Options

I'm having the same issue with my USAA accounts. We use these accounts daily. I haven't been able to reconcile in weeks. I have to do it manually. What's the point of paying for the service if I have to do it manually. First I was pissed that I have to pay for it every year. Got over that. I got a new Mac. I was told by customer service Mac was better. No, it wasn't. And now I can't even reconcile. Ugh! I have a few more months and then I'm gone. Not worth the money.

• Singer
    Singer Member
    Options

%%1 balance error using online balance to reconcile USAA credit account. Using subscription Quicken Premier R51.12 build 27.1.51.12.

Has been working ok for years, but a USAA credit account stopped reconciling properly about the 1st week of July 2023 due to a balance = %%1 error. Quicken seems to properly download transactions, however, when attempting to reconcile using online balance the statement ending balance is 0.00 as it should be, but the difference always=cleared balance in error. This means Quicken isn't getting the correct balance from USAA.

Error: In the reconciliation screen click on the "Balances" button which brings up the Online Balance pop-up. It should show the account and the amount and date. However, since this reconcile error started, the Online Balance is not shown, it's just blank, and the text reads "Online Balance as of %%1"

Attempted: Reset account didn't help. Deactivated and re-activated linked to existing account, didn't help. Deactivated the account then created a new account to test and started from scratch, but it has the same error on balance, though it seems to download the transactions ok.

There seems to be, at least, a persistent glitch in the downloading of account balance info. I'm willing to try other reasonable tests if you have suggestions.

• User_Since DOS3
    Options

Beyond frustrated with the USAA checking account reconciliation errors for the past several months. I've lost faith in Quicken. I've been using it for over 20 years! I allowed Reconcile to create a Balance Adjustment (last one was for $6,025.24). Then do a download the next day with only five transactions and the Reconcile is off by $237.29! How does that happen?! I've always reconciled perfectly in the past. I'm also starting to look for an alternative way to manage my banking accounts. Excel spreadsheet? So frustrated.

• nmestanas
    nmestanas Member ✭✭
    Options

I'm have a similar issue reconciling. My balance is off by the total of pending transactions. So if I download and accept the transactions, then reconcile, the balances are off. Go to USAA.COM and look at the transaction history, add up the "pending" ones, and it matches the differences in the balances. So looks like Q is not downloading pending transactions (just like it always has), but is including the "Current Balance" and not the cleared balance.

So I log into USAA, go to the transaction history and manually add the pending transactions. Then the reconcile works. However, on your next sync, you'll download the transaction. If you accept it, you'll get a double entry and your balance will be off AGAIN. You can manually match it and then clear it, or just delete the downloaded dupe.

I've also tried just cancelling the reconciliation, wait until the next day and try again. This does get the formerly pending transaction. As long as you don't have any new pendings, the reconcile works fine. However, if you use your account daily, you may always have something pending and never break the cycle.

I too have used Quicken for many years (since mid 90's). My current file has over 20 years of transaction. I use it daily. However, I don't use my USAA account daily (scheduled bills on autopay, perhaps a debit card transaction) so my effort to workaround this is not too irritating.

• Airborne350G
    Airborne350G Member
    edited September 2023
    Options

I have similar issues [Removed - Rant]

• morganymorgan19
    Options

I, as many others here. have been using Quicken for decades. I started using quicken in the late '80s or early '90s. I have been with USAA since '93. In all this time, I have had the very few problems with Quicken. Not like those that I have had since early this year. Each time That I reconcile, I end up with a discrepancy. Some times Quicken is adding a negative amount as a balance adjustment to reconcile. Other times it adds a positive amount.

This issue has happened twice now. Once about 2 years ago, and again around April of this year. I placed a comment in one of these forums on this site earlier this year. I received no response. Today, I read all the posts in this thread and there has been no response from Quicken since May 27, 2023. That response only said, We don't know how to fix the problem or when it will be fixed (paraphrasing). I am not sure how you fixed it the first time, but you did. Maybe it is as simple as looking at your code from before the problem and reverting to it. I am not trying to tell you how to fix the problem, but it needs to be fixed.

Please work this out with USAA ASAP.

Thank you,

Michael

• Lauries Haven
    Lauries Haven Unconfirmed, Member
    edited September 2023
    Options

[Removed - Off Topic] I haven't been able to reconcile my USAA bank accounts correctly for months. [Removed - Off Topic] I always have pending transactions. I am literally manually reconciling my accounts anyway. Even though I put in renaming rules, it never follows them. [Edited - Readability/Removed - Rant] Even though I have automatic debits, it never matches them but puts them in as new transactions and always under suggested categories I don't even use. As for the credit cards, I have to go in and manually put in the categories anyways. My mortgage and car payment are easy and I don't download my retirement accounts. I'm done. This has been too much of a headache. I'll do it manually. I've been doing it manually anyway. [Removed - Off Topic]

• marlin2222
    Options

Same issue; when is this going to be resolved?

• LongTimeRK
    LongTimeRK Member ✭✭
    Options

I too have been having this problem since March and there is no resolution from Quicken yet. This is very disappointed for a product that I have been using for 30+ year and for which I pay an annual subscription fee. I have opened tickets with Quicken regarding this issue and demonstrated to the support tech that it is using the current (online) balance instead of the posted balance (excludes pending transactions).

I'm about to send off messages to the Quicken executive management to share this disappointment. Perhaps if others also write to Mr. Dunn, CEO; Mr. Villanueva, CTO & COO; and Mr. Lawson, VP Customer Service some focus will be brought to this problem. They need to fix this product defect, work with USAA to resolve, or provide proof why its not a Quicken issue. Hopefully, they will take action before they loose many more customers.

• Palubinski
    Palubinski Member ✭✭
    Options

I've found a work around that has so far avoided having to repeatedly verify my login on the USAA website and, more importantly, doesn't corrupt my accounts ( message: "account not found on USAA").

1. avoid the global update function (curling arrow on the menu bar).

2. update accounts from within the USAA account you wish to update using "update transactions" on the menu under the gear icon on the upper right.

When I perform this in one USAA account it updates all USAA accounts.

• jackoser
    jackoser Member ✭✭
    Options

I've been using a pretty easy workaround for several months. Doesn't take much time. I update, reconcile, and backup daily.

• Make sure all of your USAA accounts are verified thru the USAA website. Quicken takes you through this process whenever you set up or add any new accounts
    • Go into ACCOUNTS and EDIT for the USAA Checking Account
    • Go into ONLINE SERVICES and uncheck the block RECONCILE USING ONLINE BALANCE. (This should stay unchecked unless you add or reverify your account)s
    • Run ONE STEP UPDATE as usual
    • USAA checking should download only the cleared (not Pending) transactions and they'll have a C in the CLR column in the register
    • Do a manual Reconcile from the GEAR ICON in the Register
    • Go into USAA App and get the cleared balance. Use the balance shown in the account before any pending transactions that are posted
    • Enter the ENDING DATE and ENDING BALANCE. (cleared amount from USAA App) . Click OK
    • If all amounts and transactions are accurate you should see a $0.00 difference with all cleared transactions checked
    • Hit DONE and cleared items in register change to Reconciled

This seems like a lot, but pretty easy actually . It just takes going into USAA app to get a correct cleared balance to enter that matches downloaded transactions. Works OK for me since it appears Quicken and/or USAA aren't going to change anything to fix this issue.

• User_Since DOS3
    Options

@jackoser Thank You! This worked for me! I would add an additional step to your procedure that includes "Use paper statement" option after you've chosen the Reconcile gear. Accept the warning that changing to paper can cause some issues. As soon as I found my Cleared balance online, entered it into the Ending balance window, everything Reconciled. Finally!

• jackoser
    jackoser Member ✭✭
    Options

Agree. On mine the warning no longer pops up. I think after you uncheck the RECONCILE USING ONLINE BALANCE block in the ACCOUNTS Edit function the manual reconcile function (gear icon) defaults to the Use Paper Statement radio button. Also notice when this window opens there's a radio button option to use the online balance and that balance amount show's the USAA "Available Balance ", that includes Pending Transactions which started this fiasco in the first place.

• BejayG
    BejayG Member ✭✭
    Options

Same, will not reconcile items in USAA that are "pending category"

This discussion has been closed.