Checking account balance off by $1300 all of the sudden

Options
Wasisnt
Wasisnt Member

My Quicken account goes back to 2008 and I do manual entries for my checking account because there was no sync with the bank option when I started. I tried to set it up but it just made a mess of everything and I would have to start with a new account in Quicken.

Every month I will look at my checking account transactions online and make sure I have them all in Quicken. The account balance is never exact and will vary by $200 or so which is not big deal. But now all of the sudden its off by over $1300 and I have gone back months and matched everything up and it looks like I have all of the transactions. I even used a calculator and went through a couple of months worth of transactions online with my bank to make sure they were doing the match correctly and its fine.

Is there a chance my file is too old and things are getting out of whack? I even found the point online and in Quicken where the balance difference seems to jump but cant figure out what's missing because everything seems to match up.

Answers

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

check the opening balance. That is known to get changed especially if you update the program.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Wasisnt
    Wasisnt Member
    Options

I actually figured it out by exporting my bank transactions for the year to a CSV file and then exporting my transactions in Quicken as an Excel file and put them side by side and marked them off one by one until I found a duplicate deposit on 2/1 and 2/2.

• Sammyt38
    Sammyt38 Member
    Options

I'll be giving this a try. Thank you

This discussion has been closed.