Repeating Transfers screwing up

Options
Richard174
Richard174 Member ✭✭✭

Every week I transfer $300 from my savings to my checking account. When I accept the dowloaded transfer for my savings, it matches up with the previous week's entry and does not add a new transfer. When I accept the downloaded entry in the checking account, it also matches up with the entry from the previous week and no entry is made. Ultimately, I need to go back and add the 2 entries in manually or my accounts don't reconcile correctly. The same thing happens the following week and has been happening for many months.

Best Answer

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

The downloaded transaction when selected in the Downloaded Transactions tab should have an Edit button.Click Edit and choose Make New. If you don’t see the Edit button, try right clicking the downloaded transaction.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Are you performing the transfer as a Repeat Transfer on the bank's website?
    What are you doing in Quicken?
    Do you have a Scheduled Transfer Reminder defined in Tools / Manage Bills and Income Reminders? If so, do you record this reminder BEFORE the actual transfer happens at the bank? This should give you correct transactions in each of your accounts to which the downloaded transaction confirmations can be matched properly.

• Richard174
    Richard174 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

The transfers are entered by my wife at the Wells Fargo Bank ATM each week. The amount or day of the week may change during any one week. The transfers are not automated at my bank; they are always entered manually at the ATM. The items download correctly, but do not enter the registers when accepted because they are linked to the previous week's transfer. Quicken thinks they are already entered so they simply disappear from the downloaded items instead of making new entries in the registers. The transfers worked for many years (20 years?), but stopped working for the last 6 or 7 months.

• mshiggins
    Options

I would recommend turning on the display of the Downloaded Posting Date in the account register and turning off the preference to Automatically Add To Banking Register.

I think you will find the Downloaded Posting Date to be a week or so off from the actual transaction date since the mismatch issue started. Going forward, pay close attention when Matching the downloaded transaction to the transaction in the register. If the downloaded transaction Matches the week o old transaction, Unmatch and Match to the correct week's transaction.

• Richard174
    Richard174 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Thank you for your response mshiggins. Actually, I have the downloaded postings display the date and the date of the downloaded transfer is correct. I also have the automatic add feature turned off. I accept every downloaded item manually. The transfer from the previous week in the register may have the correct date such as 04/19/2023 and the 04/19 entry has the "cleared" field set to "c". The new downloaded posting may have 04/26/2023 in the downloaded items display. But, when I manually accept the new downloaded item with the 04/26 date, it matches up with the 04/19 register item anyway and the downloaded item is not added to the register because quicken thinks there was a successful match even though the dates are a week apart. The new downloaded item actually disappears from the display without being entered. It is not added to the register since quicken thinks it has a correct match with the previous week's entry. I am expecting my next transfer to be executed today and the download from the bank to occur tomorrow. I need to wait for that download to get addititonal information.

• Richard174
    Richard174 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

mshiggins. One last note. If I was to unmatch the older transaction and change the date, then my 04/19 entries would be gone and my account would be $300 short. The alternative I've been using is to copy the 04/19 transactions and paste them into the register and change the date to 04/23. This is a work around and should not be required. This is not why I've purchased quicken since the 1990's. I accept I may be doing something wrong or it could be a quicken bug, but I don't know how to fix it. Since December of last year, I've had to search my registers for missing transactions since the mismatched downloaded transactions seem to disappear when they are matched to the wrong register entry and no new entry is made..

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

If you expect the, for example, 4/23 transaction to create a new register transaction from the downloaded data … that's where I'm guessing that the problem comes in.
    It might be better if, before downloading, you record a Scheduled weekly Reminder or create a new transfer transaction with correct date and amount. Then, after download, as you accept transactions, Quicken should be able to correctly match to the new transaction in your register and not a prior one.

• Richard174
    Richard174 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

UKR, that is a solution which I have thought about and it would probably work, but that is not why I pay annual license fees to be adding entires before my donwloads for every week of every month and every year. That's a lot of my time to do something Quicken should do correctly without me pre-enterring the transfers. I don't know why this stopped working about 7 months ago and I'm surprised no one else has had this problem. I would have to consult my wife about the date and amount each week and, during vacation weeks, she may do 2 transfers the same week. You are absolutely correct that the problem comes in where the downloaded data should create a new register entry, but it does not. It matches the previous week's entry and simply disappears from the downloaded items screen without creating a new entry. My savings and checking registers are then $300 off for a reconciliation with my online balances. I'm open to suggestions on how to resolve this, but pre-entering the debit and credit entries for the transfers is not an acceptable solution for me. Quicken should see the 1 week difference in dates and act appropriately especially since the older transfer is cleared. I don't know what else to say. UKR, thank you for your suggestions.

• mshiggins
    Options

Why are you accepting the incorrect match? As long as you keep doing that you are going to continue to have this issue.

• Richard174
    Richard174 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

mshiggins, the match appears to not be incorrect before I accept it. My previous transfer is dated 04/19 and my new download is 04/26. Everything is fine at that stage, but if I click on the downloaded transfer, Quicken highlights the 04/19 item which is already cleared. If the 04/19 item is cleared, it should not match up with a new download. I have that exact condition on my system now. What do I do to get Quicken to add the 04/26 item as a new entry?

• mshiggins
    Answer ✓
    Options

The downloaded transaction when selected in the Downloaded Transactions tab should have an Edit button.Click Edit and choose Make New. If you don’t see the Edit button, try right clicking the downloaded transaction.

• Richard174
    Richard174 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

mshiggins, I will try it later. Thanks for thew suggestion

• Richard174
    Richard174 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Your suggestion worked. I set the transaction to new and new entries got added. Thank you so much for your suggestion. Setting the transaction to new is an extra step, but it is not as bad as copy and paste of a past transaction and editing the date, so I don't mind doing it when necessary.

• mshiggins
    Options

Good to hear the suggestion worked. Hopefully the extra step will not be needed long term.

• Richard174
    Richard174 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I hope it is not long-term also.

This discussion has been closed.