how to delete/change category groups

Options
I'm stuck with assigned category groups that make no sense, and I can't see how to change them. I've deleted all custom categories, and now I'm left with Business or Personal Income or Expenses. But I can't delete the assigned categories and I can't change them. This is a problem with the budget tool. Can anyone tell me how to delete/change assigned categories that are NOT custom categories?
Tagged:

Answers

• Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Not entirely clear on what you are asking. Do you mean you cannot delete the assignment of categories to non-custom category groups? If so, AFAIK there is no way to do that other than to create new custom category groups, and assign categories to them.

Quicken Business & Personal Subscription, Windows 11 Home

• Permutations
    Permutations Member ✭✭
    Options
    When I pull up the Category List in Quicken Home & Business, I see a list of default category groups on the left. I'm attaching a screenshot. Each of my categories is assigned one of the groups on this default list. But the assignments are wrong. For example, there is a default Business Expense group and a default Personal Expense group. Some categories are assigned to one when it should be the other, and vice versa. There's no way I can see to change it. Is there a way?

I have no custom category groups anymore. I deleted them all. I'd prefer not to use category groups at all - I use tags, instead - but I see no way to disable it. Is there a way?
  • Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

AFAIK, there must be category groups, either the default ones (that apparently don't work for your purposes) or custom groups(which can have whatever categories you want included).

Quicken Business & Personal Subscription, Windows 11 Home

• Scooterlam
    Scooterlam SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited April 2023
    Options

@Permutations To change a category from a business group to a personal group, you must remove the tax line assigned to that category. Likewise, if you want to change a category from personal to business cateogry group, you assign a tax line to that category. Go into Tools>Category List, right click on the category of choice and Edit. See image.

You cannot delete Quicken Standard Categories Groups, only add custom category groups, as you wish.

This discussion has been closed.