Still Can't Add or Edit SubCategories

Options
Wil
Wil Member ✭✭
Hi. Using Q Deluxe, V. R48.18, Build 27.1.48.18.

Prior hit or miss solutions that have worked for some have not worked for me. I do not have any mysterious ACCT_xx in my Category List. I do not have the double naming problem, wherein a category and account have the identical name, and problems result.

This is what happens for me: When I attempt to add a new category, as a subcategory of: [DROPDOWN MENU THAT IS SUPPOSED TO DISPLAY FULL CATEGORY LIST], the displayed categories list is INCOMPLETE. I checked it carefully, and, for me, it only shows existing categories in my Personal Income group. No other categories in any other groups are shown. Thus, I cannot create or edit subcategories for categories in those other groups, i.e., my Business Expenses, Personal Expenses, Investment, Rental Property, etc. category groups.

Does anyone have a way of making the Add Subcategory To [Category List dropdown] display the FULL list?

Thanks!

Comments

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2023
    Options

Other than what you refer to as the prior hit or miss workarounds, no.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

When reviewing your Tools / Category List please make sure that

• the Category List is set to "Show Full List" and
    • "[x] Show hidden categories" is selected and
    • the list is sorted by category (if the Category column title does not have a "▲" in it, click the title to sort the list) and
    • the grey sidebar is set to show All Categories

You should now be able to spot anomalies.

• Wil
    Wil Member ✭✭
    Options
    Yay, I found the problem! I had the "Quicken will sometimes create categories from account names" variation of the "bogus category" bug that was screwing up my Category List dropdown view.

It was tricky to find. I used the Manage Hidden Accounts screen to check my selections. (Access that by clicking More Accounts on left side account list, will see the Manage button at the bottom). I had one account that was checked to Hide in Transaction Entry Lists. I unchecked that box. Then I looked for that account name as a category in Tools / Category List (full view), and I saw it.

That bogus category may have been there and viewable before, I don't know, but when I specifically looked for it, I found it. I deleted that bogus category, and the full category list is again displaying as it should, and I can again create & edit my subcategories.

Hope this helps someone.
  • Pat Sills
    Pat Sills Member ✭✭
    Options
    Wil, Your post was enormously helpful! I was trying to create some new subcategories, and could not see the higher level subcategory or category. Very frustrating, and if persisted, a killer bug for me. But when I looked in the category list, I saw a strange category that did not belong. I deleted this zombie category and the problem went away. So thanks!
  • Wil
    Wil Member ✭✭
    Options
    Pat Sills, great! We help each other with these nasty bugs as best we can. Like you, I see the ability to create and edit subcategories as a core feature of the Quicken software!
This discussion has been closed.